1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winxp boots but just before desktop shows.nothing? Y?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by trupunk13, May 5, 2007.

1. trupunk13

trupunk13 Member

Hi masterful computer dudes,

I am new to this stuff. I found a computer at a garage sale and the guy sold it for 10 bucks. When I turn it on a screen shows "Choose Operating system: Windows XP Home or Windows XP Home. I highlight the top one and then the Windows logo screen with the little bar on the bottom with lights that go from left to right (like its loading or something) shows up for about 2-3 mins and then nothing happens, it goes away like its gonna turn on but it just does nothing.

I ask of you, those who might know if I can salvage this thing, how can I? It is a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop. It says it has Pentium 4 processor 2.80 GHZ

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds like a $10 dud - restore or re format would be you best options.

3. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

You will need to reformat or restore the disc. Call dell and if they ask what's your phone number , just tell them you got it from a garage sell(like you said) and they will send you the restore disc but you have to pay(well duh haha).

This happens to me but mine had an error saying that file was missing and I had to order new restore disc. the one that came with it didn't have some of the missing files on it . weird, it was the recovery disc and other one was restore (which restore everything). I guess recovery disc only restore part of the OS since didnt work.

Last edited: May 7, 2007