1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinXP Home OS 64?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ima49311, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

so here is my rig in a nutshell:

AMD x2 4200
    2 200 GB HDs
    7500 GT Vid Card
    3 GB Ram

I do alot of video and photo editing in After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, and all the rest.. I just recently upgraded from 2gb of ram to 3gb but havent seen much of an improvement at all. I know XP doesnt recognize OVER 3GB but i thought i would see a little bit of increase from 2 to 3gb..

anyway, would i see a big increase in performance if i jumped to a 64bit OS? im looking at the XP Pro 64 first, and then lastly a 64bit Vista (im not convinced its better yet). i've read there is no cutoff for 64 bit OSs as far as memory range (obviously you cant have more than your motherboard will allow either) but is there still a cutoff for software usage?

Whats my best option do you think? i read somewhere that after effects and photoshop cant even take advantage of MORE than 2GB of ram anyway, but would an OS switch to 64bit change that or help separately?

thanks in advance!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I wouldn't have an 64 bit OS, but that is up to you.

If you are talking about the editing, then RAM does play a role, as does the GPU of you video card.

The actual encoding of the "production" is CPU intensive, and RAM plays no role in it.

You should see some quicker editing times, with 3GB of RAM, but your video card seems more of a bottleneck in your specs.