1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinXP Not Displaying .M4A Files as Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ldfcao, Jan 15, 2006.

1. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

WinXP doesn't seem to be treating .M4A files like audio files. Although the file association seems to be correct, Explorer won't show audio info such as Artist, Album etc. When I right-click on an .M4A file, it doesn't show the same menu as an .MP3 file.

Is there a way to fix this easily without mucking through my Windows registry (which I've never done)?

Thank you!

2. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Do you mind converting the M4A to MP3? The reason it's not displaying info like mp3s is that there is no info, where ever or whoever you got the file obviously didnt set tags on the file, so either look for a free converter on google or find a program that file edit the tags like "Tag&Rename" http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm, hopefully this will solve your prob.

3. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

Actually, the tags ARE set. I downloaded the .M4A codec from DBAmp and was able to see the tags. I can now right-click and access the tag info too - but Windows Explorer still won't show audio information - i.e. all the MP3 files in an Explorer window display Artist, Album, Duration, etc. but the fields for the .M4A files in the same window are blank.

4. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

It's jus microsoft then, lazy bastids haven't released an update I guess, BUT there are programs that edit your explorer to show details for m4a and such, look around google for shells or plugins for explorer that will allow it, I'll post links to any I find.
    btw- Where on the explorer window are you talking about that the detals don't show up, in the white area when u move your cursor over it or on the left in the blue section? Try AudioShell.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006