1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Wired] Optical Mouse Interference?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by handsom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. handsom

handsom Regular member

I've got an odd issue. It's... very strange imo. And I'd like to preface this by pointing out that years ago, in the age of xbox modding, I was VERY active here on, with a fair moniker of respect for my level of knowledge. I'm not bragging, just trying to avoid the "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" responses. I understand computer tech with a moderately high level of skill and experience.

Moving on to the hardware in question...

I use a usb-wired "Dell M534D Silver Premium 6-Button USB 1600 DPI Laser Scroll Mouse", yeah, it's a mouthful, but I wanted to get the EXACT part name in here because I get the feeling this may have to do with some specific module sensitivity or flaw. The exact part can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Premium-6-Button-Compatible/dp/tech-data/B002WE3BZ8

THE PROBLEM:
    In the last day or two, I noticed that I could move my mouse smoothly upwards and right. However it's a BATTLE to move it left or down. At first I thought that maybe the laser was going... Which was strange, because it's a fairly new mouse. I wound up moving the mouse closer to me in frustration and discovered that it functions PERFECTLY when it's closer to me on the desk. This seemed peculiar. 'Maybe it's the mousepad' I thought, but no. When I use the mousepad closer to me on the desk it's perfect, when I try the mouse in it's normal spot further back on the desk without the mousepad it still has the same issue. So it would seem to suggest that there is some object or device which could be causing interference with the optical mouse closer to the back of my desk.

Thinking back, I can't recall moving any new devices or magnetic objects to this general area over the last few weeks, so I'm at a bit of a loss for what might be causing any kind of interference. I do live in an apartment, so it's not to say that my neighbor couldn't possibly have something on their side of the shared wall which could do this... But I can't imagine what would case this kind of interference through a firewall.

Can anyone think of any solutions to or plausible causes to this seemingly location-based problem?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the mouse on another pc to see if still have a problem. it almost sounds like you have a broken wire in the cable were it enters into mouse body.