1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless cable router connetion methods

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rish, Mar 20, 2005.

1. rish

rish Member

OK im looking for an 802.11g cable router with a combined print server and have only found one online.

however my main question is, on a wireless cable router, is there the possibility to connect one pc with a network cable and another pc with a usb adapter?

crazy i hear you say, but i think itd be cheaper to have the wireless router near to one pc and connect using a network cable, whereas the other pc can be in another room and be connected wirelessly.

so do wireless routers have ports (if so usually how many?) to connect using wires.

also with wireless routers, would it be theoretically possible to have an unlimited number of pc's connected to it if all pc's had usb wireless adapters/pci cards??

on a final note since many wireless routers dont have built in print servers, is there anyway to have share the printer without the pc connecte dto it being on? e.g. is there a wire which connects the router and the printer (crazy talk i know, but im a newb i guess)

thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wireless routers do have ports usually 4 for net cables. can get a hub that has the printer port on it

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Wireless cable or dsl routers have 4 network ports for hard wire, but will allow many wireless connections, (all vary but at least 10 and some over 100,) but not recommended!

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

5. rish

rish Member

OK, some great clarification and new info here, thanks a lot.

out of curiousity, is it possible to connect a printer directly to a router ie. without the need for a print server, in other words is there a cable which converts USB to RJ45/ or perhaps i could plug in a usb wireless adapter and the (wireless) router can enable wireless prrinting

or is that a bit OTT... :)

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the router has a printer port. for a wireless printer if there is one, you might be looking at some big dollars