1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Card Defective - Reset IP address?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xsmail321, May 2, 2009.

1. xsmail321

xsmail321 Member

Wireless Card Defective - Reset IP address?
    IP address is corrupt.
    Posted 5/2/09
    Problem: Able to connect to internet, but the IP address is defective.

I recently bought a TOSHIBA "satellite" model about 2,3 months ago which came with Windows Vista. I have been only unhappy to frustrated with vista.

Background:
    On 4/17/09 i was unable to connect to my wireless. I phoned up Toshiba, and the guy explained to me that i needed to "reset" the wireless link/card. The reason was, Windows Vista did an update and caused some kind of problem

with the wireless link/card. I did exactly what he told me to do and it worked perfectly.

on 4/28/09 I experienced the same problem, did this "reset" technique again and it worked perfectly.
    On 5/1/09 in the evening, I had the same problem did this "reset" technique but it did not work well. I knew i was connected because the icon in the lower right showed I was connected but I was unable to reach websites i.e.

yahoo.com

5/2/09 I phoned up TOSHIBA. The woman again said Windows Vista automatically updated the computer and in the process caused the IP Address to become defective.
    She said the only way to solve this problem is to re install the operating system. She said that this is not a TOSHIBA problem but a Windows Vista problem.

I told her that for toshiba to endorse Windows vista which "updates" computers like this causing such defects is irresponsible, unethical and immoral. I do not have the time to reinstall windows, reinstall all my old programs, and transfer

all my data onto an external hard drive.

Please advise me what to do!
    1. Should I purchase windows XP off of ebay.com?
    2. Should I sell my toshiba computer online and use that money to buy and "older" computer with "windows xp?"

***Also, does anybody know of other websites/forums that I can post this question at? Have you guys used others that you liked?

Please help!
    *email removed*

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Uninstall your Wifi, reboot and reinstall it. That should fix the glitch.

Even if your IP address was defective (I don't think this is possible), you can always change it. Windows update sometimes updates device drivers, but does not do this by default. It is not a windows issue; it is probably a bad hardware issue.

try entering these settings for TCP/IPv4:
    IP: 192.168.1.10
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default: 192.168.1.1
    Preferred: 4.2.2.2
    Alternate: 4.2.2.6

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to our humble abode, however email address removed.
    Forum Rules are in my signature.