1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless connection

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jim_green, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jim_green

jim_green Guest

Hi peeps my girlfriend is getting a laptop soon i wanted to know if my pc can be hardwired from the back of the wireless router as i don't have a wireless card in my pc and i have not bought a router yet.
    Please could you also tell me if i will encounter any problems setting up the connection as my pc is running xp home and the laptop will be running on vista or will it run fine?
    Many thanks
    Jim

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can get a usb wireless adapter for your pc to use wireless router or get a pci net card for about $15Can & a network cable from router to your pc. doesn't matter on what os is being used on pc's thru router

3. steimy

steimy Active member

what OS she is running should not matter as long as you set up the connection settings on her laptop correctly.
    Doesn't your PC have any ethernet ports?
    You would really not have to put the PC as wireless with a wireless card, it would be wired to the router and modem with ethernet cables. It is anything else that is wireless that you need to set up to work with the wireless router. (laptop, gaming systems and so on)

and make sure you read up on setting up a SECURE wireless network before you hook it all up. Without that anyone within range of the wireless router can access your internet.

4. jim_green

jim_green Guest

Hi thanks for replying, my pc is already connected to internet with ethernet cable from modem, so im right in thinking connect modem to wireless router via ethernet cable, connect pc to wireless router via ethernet cable set up network connection and firewall for wireless network and should be all systems go hopefully :)

5. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, that should be it. The most you may have to do is set up a wireless network on your PC which is pretty easy. I know i had to do that but it was only because i wanted to not just share the internet connection but actually have the ability to transfer files from the laptop to the PC.

this guide may help you a little. But what you have is right. Cable from outside into modem stays the same, cable from modem that use to go to PC now goes to internet (WAN) port on router, then ethernet from one router port to PC

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. jim_green

jim_green Guest

Thanks! :)