1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by babbleboy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. babbleboy

babbleboy Member

I have used a PC for a great number of years. I have a DSL modem / router and the main PC is hooked to an ethernet cable. A second computer connects through a USB wireless device with no trouble. Now I just bought a used Mac G-4 running OS-10.3 panther. I got a USB wireless device and successfully loaded the mac software. The unit is lit but it will not connect to the internet and will only display a "server not found" error. I am not familiar enough with Mac to know how to remedy this. Does anyone have any suggestions????????

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm not sure of the exact setting, but in your network connections you specify what to do with a wired or wireless connection. Perhaps its expecting a cable plugged in while you are expecting it to pickup the wireless signal.

3. babbleboy

babbleboy Member

Thanks for your help. The only options I could find in my network setup were "internal modem & built-in ethernet. These do not point to the USB wireless device. I guess I will need to get some help from someone who is more familiar with Mac than I am. Thanks again for your time.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

does the device appear in the system profiler?

5. babbleboy

babbleboy Member

"internal modem & built-in ethernet are the only items that appear in the profile.

6. oadbylad

oadbylad Member

First thing id do is up date the soft ware
    Then have a look at the spec of the build
    Got a feeling on the desk top version of the Mac you need an Airport card
    But check the spec
    http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

obviously if it's not showing up in the device profiler then the driver isn't installed.

you don't give any device details.. it may not work with your operating system or there may be an alternative unix driver.. similar things happen with unsupported hardware on solaris all the time.. there are unix drivers available, but they can take all hell to hunt down, compile and install.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011