1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Internet for Both Mac's & PC's

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by nepgunes, May 22, 2006.

1. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

Hello All,

I am trying to set up wireless internet in my house and we have both Macs and PC's. One mac can hook up to the wireless router through a cable but my other 2 comps are all upstairs and need to be hooked up wirelessly. Right now I have a:
    Belkin 2.4 GHz - 802.11g Wireless with High Sped Mode - 125 HSM router
    My sisters PC running WIndows XP is using a Belkin 54 g card and her computer works... now here's my question

I have a G4 Imac running OSX 10.3.9.. what wirless card do i need to connect to the Belkin router? Will my mac even work with this wireless router? Do i need to buy the mac wireless router in order to get my mac computer working wirelessly and if so, does my sister have to buy a new wireless card to be compatible with the mac wireless router?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

if it is an imac.. need to know what processor speed it is. you may need to get an older original airport card for it. ebay should have some.. make sure to look up "original airport card". if a later g4 imac. you can use the airport extreme card.

airport extreme card.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~114792.asp

you dont need the base station by apple.. you can use that same belkin. you may need to verify that on the belkin site.

http://www.belkin.com

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  3. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

thanks for responding! Here is More Computer Info:

[bold]Hardware[/bold]
    Machine Model: iMac
    CPU Type: Power PC G4 (2.1)
    Number of CPU's: 1
    CPU Speed: 800 mHz
    L 2 Cache (Per CPU): 256KB
    Memory: 256 MB SDRAM
    Bus Speed: 100 mHz
    Boot Rom Version: 4.4.0f1

I hope Thats is what you need. I just ordered an Airport Extreme Card Last Night... Should Be Here In a Couple Days

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  4. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

since you have the 800mhz machine.. the aiport extremem card will NOT work in that machine. you need a 3rd party for that one..

you want to edit out your serial number on that last post. and you need to have mac os 10.3 to run this:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~574146.asp

5. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

thanks for the help lox.. I will wait till I recieve the extreme card from the apple store before i buy that one... I have OSX 10.3.9, which from what I read, will work just fine

6. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

no trouble at all.. like helping people

7. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

airport express will work for that model i have on and they work great but you need a full sized computer doesn't work on ibooks and powerbooks worth a darn

8. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

airport express is not really recommended at all.. something like that is just for like dorms.. and small offices.. if even that.

9. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

not true it works for exchanging files and sing wireless internet access and you can use as many of them as you want