1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by seb32, Jan 16, 2008.

1. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with my wireless connection. Here's what I've done recently:

First, I got a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. I hacked it according to the instructions (somewhere on this site) to work as a SoftAP. (I currently have cable internet, so I used the Wi-Fi connector as a wireless router). It worked fine -- I could connect my Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and laptop (Vista) to the internet through this. I also managed to get file sharing working between the laptop and the PC (my PC is XP Home).

So, everything was working fine, then I installed BitDefender Total Security 2008 (and uninstalled my old anti-virus/firewall suite). After installation, I can't connect to the internet anymore. I can connect to the network with the laptop, and file sharing still works, but the internet doesn't work (firefox says "request timed out"). I've tried completely turning off the firewall and anti-virus on BitDefender, but it still doesn't work. My DS and Wii can find the connection, but can't finish the "test connection". I've tried entering the errorcodes on support.nintendo.com, but they're just generic error messages.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Well when worst comes to worst try restoring your system to a time before when it was working but do that at your own risk !

3. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Can you ping out, say google.com?

Also, if nothing else you might want to think about getting rid of BitDefender. Not sure why you'd need so much security on your system; good AV is all you need.

You might also want to ping the IP corresponding to that PC from another one and see if you can get to it. This has to be a firewall issue.

Try this, boot into safe mode but choose "With Network Connection" and see if you can access the Internet this way; if you can then something you installed is preventing you from getting connecting to the Internet.

4. seb32

seb32 Regular member

From the laptop (the one that's trying to connect wirelessly), I pinged google:

Pinging google.com (72.14.207.99) with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Then I tried to ping the wireless network adapter (the modded Wi-Fi USB connector) that I'm trying to connect to the internet through:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

Then I tried to ping the actual ip of the computer I'm trying to access the internet through:

Pinging 70.70.xxx.xx with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 70.70.xxx.xx:

~

I then tried to disable the firewall on BitDefender. I turned it off, windows came up with a security alert, etc. I then tried the three pings I did above.

Pinging google.com (72.14.207.99) with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply form 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Pinging 70.70.xxx.xx with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 70.70.xxx.xx:

~

So, turning off my firewall allowed me to ping the wireless network adapter, but still not access the internet. However, the thing that really gets me is that all this time file sharing works perfectly, so there must be a connection...

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Once you've established a connection with your router, the issue then lies beyond it.

Pinging your router's IP proves functionality of your internal LAN. If every device can see the router, and it's DHCP server assigns the IPs... you get file transfer capabilities on the network.

But... if that's all you're getting, try a hard reset on the router, and on your internet modem. (turn off, unplug, let sit for at least two minutes)

Then... using your firewalls profile section, (turn Windows firewall off).. just like in Comodo's firewall, you may have to go in and manually allow the ports to have access. Comodo's by default, blocks everything past 1500 or something like that, and I had to go in and set up a "new allow list" and add 6667 so internet chat rooms would work. Might be something similar in BitDefender.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  6. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Follow the excellent advice from Morph416 and see what happens.

Also, you didn't mention whether or not you tried loging in under "Safe Mode" with network connection and if the Internet connection worked that way.

7. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Did a hard reset on both cable modem and wireless router, and completely disabled firewall, still doesn't connect. I haven't tried safe mode yet, I'll go do that now.

8. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Sorry, I was away for the weekend.

Tried it in safe mode (w/ networking), exact same problem.