1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless pc question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Vinnys025, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Vinnys025

    Vinnys025 Guest

    I have free wireless at this military base that i am currently at and I'm VERy new to this wireless stuff. When I scan for connections I see a few (which are other users) but the best % is always in the 70's and that is the main hub and has a 1(g) next to it. The other are 6(g) or 11(g) (i'm still not sure what this means).

    I wanted to know what kind of adapter I should buy. I currently connect at 54 but the adapter says 108 capability. The download speed is about 7 times slower than when I had cable internet. Also, could I buy one of those wireless adapters that get dual 108 signals and get double the speed? Basically since I am capped out like everyone, which would be the best way to be a bandwidth hog and maybe even take others bandwidth, or double mine up. Which adapter and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. tripplite

    tripplite Guest

    the g means that they (routers/hub) are sending the signal out in g

    i suggest that you get any receiver (heavy downloads pci suggested, normal user then usb adapter is fine, but in my opinion pci is better) that is both g/b capable that way there wont be any network it can't hook into

    if you really want to be a hog go Ethernet and connect through lan, you'll get a much faster mbps this was (usually)

    also renewing you ip address with the hub frequently once every 1,1/2 hours also allows for a better connection speed


Share This Page