1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless router and airport card ibook

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by derwen, Jan 1, 2006.

1. derwen

derwen Member

I have a G3 ibook, running os x 10.3.9
    I have a zyxel prestige 650 router currently running on cables. What i want to know is, if I intall an Airport card in the iBook, will I then be able to access Internet wireless from my ibook? Much of the Apple literature talks about needing a base station- is that teh same thing as my router or do I need that too?

Also I have a imac networked to the router, would it be possible to continue to run that connected (with the USB cable) to the router , while running the iBook wireless?

Very unclear.
    Thanks

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

the airport base station is a router.. just the apple branded one.. much more expensive..

you should be able to use it

3. derwen

derwen Member

Thanks I thought so

4. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I don't mean to be insulting your intelligence or anything, but your going to want to make sure you have a wireless router. The Airport card works with 802.11 G wireless routers. I believe that is backwards compatible with 802.11 a/b wireless as well but I'm not sure. Hope that helps.

5. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

most routers now are backward compatible anyways. that is what the airport express uses.

6. derwen

derwen Member

From what I understand I cant use the Airport Express, only the Airport card (original) for my iBook. The router is wireless - it is a 802.11b wireless device. If that still all sounds OK, I am then hoping to use the iBook wirelessly (!) and the iMac (on the same network, and router) with wires (as it cannot be made wireless).

7. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

ok..

here is a router you can use. this one has a 4 port switch. which all that means.. you can hardwire in up to 4 computers.. you can hardwire in your imac.

your ibook.. it already has the card built in. it will pick up that signal.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~398689.asp

this is the airport express..

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~448199.asp

this is a router like the first one. everything on wireless, no switches for hooking up your imac. it does have a usb print server. which means that your ibook can print to it without any hardwire.
    the airport express is weak and not that great. that one is normally added to the router. it mainly would help extend your range.

if you want to do the same think that first router and airport express do.. you can get a router with a usb print server.

something like this:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~478589.asp

looks like they dont have it in stock, but that gives you an idea.

hope that clears stuff up for you

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006