1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless router for p2p

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MuRf, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MuRf

MuRf Member

Hi
    I've just got a laptop which i plan on getting an orinoco wireless card,
    the plan is to pipe my adsl connection into my main pc and go wireless on the laptop,
    Is there a wireless router that does not have a firewall so that it will work well with p2p, like emule and also on the torrent network
    Appreciate any help!!! Thanks

2. MuRf

MuRf Member

sorry should also have mentioned I live in Ireland and was considering a netgear dsl router

Thanks again!

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use the router between the modem, pc & laptop. check the dlink & linksys sites on their wireless routers

4. MuRf

MuRf Member

Cheer man!but don't like linksys
    My main question is is there a wireless router that works well with p2p .... ie one that is not behind a firewall?or that can be disabled? havent much hand on experience with wireless yet?
    a recommendation is what am looking for

Thanks anyway!

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Just set ANY wireless router as a "switch" and also an "Access Point".

Then connect your DSL modem to one of the LAN ports, NOT the Internet/WAN port or DSL/Modem Port of the router, and your are good to go. No more firewall problems!

These are the directions I gave to my Brother-In-Law on how to setup a Belkin Router to do what I mentioned above. Most will be vary similiar but may have their own "address" to log into. Just exchange what is shown here for the address they give for their Router Login:

(This step is to reset it back to the original way it was to access it again to make it an AP/Switch. Use this if you need to make changes to what you have done before only. No need to do it on a fresh unit.)

First, to reset a Belkin Router to factory default settings do the following:

Use a paper clip and hold in the reset button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds and release. Wait for the green lights to go off and then come back on. Unplug the power from the unit and wait 10 seconds again. Re-plug the power cord back into the unit and wait until you have green lights again. You should now be back to factory defaults.

Make sure that you have an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of your PC and also into any one of the 1-4 LAN ports on the back of the Belkin Router. (Do NOT USE the Internet/WAN port for anything now or after setup as an Access Point.)

One important note: You do not need to load any software for the Belkin Router if you plan on using it as an Access Point.

Once your PC Ethernet cable is plugged into the back of your PC and also into either LAN ports 1-4 and the Belkin Router is powered on, start your internet browser and after it cannot find any page and gives you an error message, type in this exactly:

http://192.168.2.1 (example Login for Belkin, yours might be different.)

Then click go or send, or hit your enter key.

You should now be looking at a page for Belkin which is broadcasting right from the router itself.

Follow the next three steps to complete this setup.

1. Under the WIRELESS Heading click on the link that says: Channel & SSID

Change the channel from 11 to 6 (Note: only needed if you have a problem with some Laptops like Dell that default to this channel.)

Change the SSID to something like MyWireless or Nancy3657, etc. Just keep it short and also no spaces or hyphens, etc. This will appear every time you check your status, letting you know that it’s your wireless service that you are connected to.

Click on Apply Changes!

2. Under LAN Setup Heading click on LAN settings.

Click on DHCP Server and once there, click in the OFF circle to set it to off.

Click on Apply Changes

3. Under WIRELESS Heading click on the link Use as an Access Point

Click on the circle that says “Enable”

When 2 new items pop up do the following:

Specify IP Address should be changes from 192.168.2.254 to 192.168.2.100

Do not change the SubNetwork. It should remain as 255.255.255.0

Now pay close attention before you do anything else!

Since you are about to change the IP address of your router, once you click on apply changes, it will look like it is taking forever to reload the page. It will not reload because you did change the IP address of your router. Once you click on apply, and you are asked if you are sure you want to make the change, you will click yes or OK, etc. and you might be asked again about your changes and you will again be asked to confirm by clicking yes or OK, etc.

Watch your router for the green lights to go off, and then come back on. Once that happens your changes are made.

Change the address in your internet browser from whatever is in there now to http://192.168.2.100 and click go or send, or hit your enter key. You should see the Belkin Page again but this time you should see all your changes except for the channel change.

Once you are satisfied that everything took, unplug your router once more, wait ten seconds, and then re-plug it in. You now have only an Access Point and a switch, no longer using the Internet/WAN port.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005