1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Routers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Red_Maw, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hi, I looking for a wireless router that has good performance at distances of up to 25 ft and through walls/ceiling. The NetGear RangeMax wpn824v2 has gotten good ratings but is expensive. Does anyone have any comments that they would like to share on that router or other routers that fit the bill?
    I also need a wireless pc card but haven't looked into them yet. According to NetGear the wpn511 works well with their router, but is just as expensive. Any comments on those are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

Im gonna tell you, to stick with Linksys. they are powered by Cisco Systems whcih is the leader in communications in the world. i like the linksys and i use one with the extended antenna, but the power extenders and cards work very well too.

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

How is Linksys with internal anteni? I have limited space and don't know anything about adjusting external anteni for maximum signal stregnth.

Thanks.

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I would stay away from Netgear and Linksys. I'm not as sure about the latest Linksys, but both these manufacturers have a habit of developing products that can't handle high WAN speeds. If you ever upgrade your service, or if your ISP upgrades it incrementally as most do, then, eventually, your Netgear or Linksys will not be able to handle the speed increase. Other manufacturers don't seem to be as problematic although I'd tend to stay away from Belkin for other reasons. D-link, SMC, etc. are good starts.

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

What about internal atennas? I have heard that they aren't as good and external but I am pressed for vertical space. Would you recomend staying away from them if I am looking for high speed reliable connection at a distance?

Thanks.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

I have a linksys wireless router, and it works well for me. I am not going through different floors in the house but i am over 50 feet away. It works with both my wireless laptop (internal card) and my Linksys wireless gaming adapter to play Xbox over the internet.
    Plus as mentioned the security is very good on them.
    If all else fails and it will not reach the distance needed you can also buy a signal extender from Dlink or other company that you put somewhere between the signal and the PC you access the wireless with and it will about double your range.

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks for your input. I think I will go with a dLink or linksys thought it seems that the Linksys WRT54G doesn't work as well as the WRT54GL. Is there any truth to that or are they just made differently? Also, I have heard that they don't mix well with 2.4GHz cordless phones. Do they really conflict?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007