1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless will not connect automatically Win XP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by magic58, Jul 29, 2012.

1. magic58

magic58 Member

Hi, I was using an ASUS netbook Eee PC (1001PX) which is running Win XP SP3 trill about a year ago and had no problems with connecting to my wireless router at home. I then upgraded to another netbook and did not use this for about a year. Last week I pulled it out again to use it to listen to some streaming music.

The first thing I did was to run the updates for XP and the antivirus. Also my previous modem/router was a NetComm NB9W and my new router is a D-Link DIR 835.
    I added the new connection the the netbook; however, when I now turn it on each time, it will not connect automatically.

I notice that I have to click on "Refresh network lists". It will try and reconnect then, but fails. I then have to select the network and click 'Connect'. The box for entering the password will then come up. I then have to enter the password and confirm it. It will try and connect again and fail. I then click on "Refresh network lists" again and this time it connects. And yes, I have ticked the 'Automatic connection box.

I have to go through this ritual each time I turn on the netbook. Any thoughts??

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. magic58

magic58 Member

Hey JST1946, thanks for the reply. Turned the router off for about 10 minutes and turned on again, but the situation is still the same.

I also have another laptop with Win XP SP 3 with all the updates installed just like the problem one, and it works without a problem. I have another 3 laptops plus another netbook running Win 7 with no issue. Even when I run my desktop on wireless, it connects automatically. Basically the problem happens with ASUS netbook alone.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do a system restore to before you did the updates & installed anti-virus to see if can connect alright. if connect then install anti-virus then connect again. if still connecting okay then do the updates & try connecting again.

5. magic58

magic58 Member

Thanks ddp, but I managed to get it working now. I re-set the 'zero configuration' utility and it seems to be back to normal. I tried re-starting last night and again this morning and it’s connecting without a fuss. :)

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Glad you got it working again and let us know what you did to correct the problem.Maybe it will be of some help to someone else in the future.

7. magic58

magic58 Member

Hey JST1946, the problem seems to have returned despite connecting on 2 separate days on start-up. But in control panel I opened 'Administrative Tools', scrolled down to 'Wireless Zero Configuration', right clicked and clicked 're-start'

I'll try the system restore as suggested and will get back.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using the windows program to connect to the router or the wireless card program?

9. magic58

magic58 Member

Ok so I did a system restore, but it still would not connect. I was close to re-loading windows and thought I’d un-install the antivirus and try again. Unfortunately no joy. I then restarted the netbook and I immediately got connected. Tried it twice more and I was getting connected straight up. I then installed a trial version of Kaspersky, ran the update (had AVG before) and it continued to connect. Tried twice this morning and everything is fine.

I guess AVG was the culprit. I have uninstalled AVG from my other computers in the past due to too many false positives (eg "autorun" on my usb stick)

10. magic58

magic58 Member

I am using windows to connect. Did try and look for the ASUS client, but could not seem to find it. (Sorry I did not see this question earlier)
    It seems good now, but will try once again this evening and post accordingly.

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

So it worked fine for a couple of days and it started playing up again, so I made the big decission to start from scratch and reload windows.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012