1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WM Player Divx Problems arise out of nowhere...

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by temppimp, Jun 28, 2003.

1. temppimp

temppimp Member

Ok, for a long time I have been viewing my AVI/Divx movies in Windows Media Player without any problems. Then, last night I was screwing around with some stuff and accidentally installed an old divx 4 codec. When I tried to view the movies, the picture was kind of washed out and fuzzy, not as clear as they were supposed to be. Best way to describe the video is it looks "oily". I uninstalled the codec and unpacked the divx 5.05 bundle and installed it, and tried again to watch the movies, but I continue to have the same problem. I know that the 5.05 pack will work to watch the movies because I tried watching them on a different computer after installing the bundle and it worked fine. I'm guessing that there is some kind of codec conflict in my system... but I don't know where it is!

I know I can just use the divx player that comes with the bundle to watch the movies, but I don't like the lag that occurs when you try to fast forward using that program.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem where the picture quality in WMplayer becomes oily/crappy for no apparent reason, and reinstalling the divx5.05 does not fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What else did you do when you were "screwing around" besides install divx 4? Im pretty sure that if you had only installed divx 4 and uninstalled it and used divx 5.05 everything would have been fine...

Try using the zoomplayer instead of wmplayer, it uses less cpu power and wont lag like the divx player.

3. temppimp

temppimp Member

Only other thing I installed was virtualdub... basically I was trying to mess around with some stuff for my dreamcast, trying to make divx movies playable on it by using the guide at this site:
    http://www.patternblue.net/guides/DCdivx/

This was the only stuff I did before my divx viewing went to shit. Anyway, I've used GSpot to check what video codecs are installed on my computer and this is what it gave me:

http://dmp2kx.tripod.com/image/installed_codecs.jpg

What worries me is that unknown codec... I have no idea how to get rid of it or where it is...

BTW, where can I get zoomplay? Guess I'll google it.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

5. temppimp

temppimp Member

try cutting and pasting the URL instead of clicking the link... I dunno why tripod won't let you link to images...

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Try uninstalling the divx 5.05 codec and get into your registry and delete everything related to the divx codec after youve done that, install divx 5.05 again and see if your movies work.

7. temppimp

temppimp Member

Ok, do you mean use regedit and delete everything related to divx? Just by using "find"? I guess I'll try that next. Anyway, here's a summary of my problem again, I Have found ways to get rid of the oily picture, but it induces the green tint in other avi's...
    Here goes:

First, I uninstalled all the divx codecs that I could using "Add/Remove Programs". I installed Nimo.Codec.Pack.5.Build.7.exe while keeping it's default settings while installing. I then go to view my videos. First, I view the smaller avi that usually has the green tint problem, and it plays fine, no green tint. I then try to view the other video that usually has the oily problem, and it shows up all oily.

So, I go to install ffdshow-20030103.exe. When I install it, I only mark the "Divx 5" under "supported codecs" to be installed and the documentation. I install and then go to view my videos. Now the smaller avi that usually has the green tint problem once again has it, and the other video that usually has the oily problem no longer looks oily and is viewed clearly.

Now, on another message board, someone said to do the following to get rid of the "green tint" problem:

"i had the exact same problem, and if you havent fixed it yet here it is..make sure you have installed your fave codec pack (nimo for me) make sure it installs the xvid codec and then when its done..type this in a command prompt or in the start menu run box...
    regsvr32 /u ffdshow.ax

completly and instantaniously worked..good luck!"

So, I tried the command, but it didn't work. I found ffdshow.ax on my computer, put it in the c:\windows\system folder, and then tried the command again. The command was accepted. When I try to view the videos, I am back where I started (no green tint, but some videos look "oily".)

Installing "Divx 5" under "supported codecs" with ffdshow-20030103.exe then gets rid of the oily problem, but brings back the green tint problem. It's like I'm going in circles!

Now I have no clue what I am supposed to do. It seems that the "Divx 5 codec" that comes from ffdshow-20030103.exe fixes the "oily" problem, but causes the "green tint" problem. It seems that I cannot have all of my avi's working perfectly for some reason, although I know that it can be done because they were working fine until a few days ago. Also, on another computer at a public library, I have simply installed the divx5.05 bundle from divx.com and been able to view all videos perfectly without any other codecs, but this does not work on my computer, as I get the "oily" videos.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Below is the GSpot information on each of the videos. The first is for the video that ends up having the greenish tint, the second is for the oily-looking one. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the url.

http://dmp2kx.tripod.com/image/green_tint_vid_info.JPG

http://dmp2kx.tripod.com/image/oily_vid_info.JPG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Downloading codec packs could cause you even more problems...codec conflicts etc...

I saw the pictures and all signs point to using the Divx 5 codec so Im not too sure why it wont work. Only thing i can suggest is uninstall nimo and ffdshow and any other video codecs you might have installed and reinstall divx 5.05. If your avis are still screwed up, reinstall your OS and install only codecs that are necessary to view your avis. Reinstalling is a last resort and may be out of the question for you but thats all i can think of for now since you replied that your movies worked on the computer in the library. Unless you can pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, I really think reinstalling is your only choice. Or you can try again on the other message board. Another great board to try is the divx.com forums, a lot of helpful people there that could hopefully find an answer for your problem short of reinstalling your OS.

Good Luck.

9. DeadlyMEX

DeadlyMEX Guest

You should try to download ACE Mega CoDecS Pack v5.91 @ http://ace.subpage.net/ it has way more codecs and utilities than Nimo..

And you should try out The Core Media Player @ http://www.corecoded.com/ use to be powerdivx.. I been using this player for over 2years and it still rocks.....

10. temppimp

temppimp Member

ok, I'll try. Thanks everyone for your help.

11. bgbop15

bgbop15 Member

I had the same problem today, and I downloaded the xvid and divx codecs, and it still didnt work. THen i started messing with hardware acceleration, and it works fine... check it out!