1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMA to MPEG2 using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by TAZ345, Dec 12, 2002.

1. TAZ345

TAZ345 Guest

Does anyone know what codec, if any, I need to convert WMV to MPEG2 using TMPGEnc? The audio will not open and I get a error when trying to convert.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2002
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Convert the audio to wav using SoundForge or GoldWave or whatever. Then import the audio separately into tmpgenc.

3. TAZ345

TAZ345 Guest

Can the same thing be done with Virtual Dub? I have the prog. but never used it. Anyway Thanks, jnihil

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Well, not without much stuffing around. Any reason you want to use vdub?

I was surprised that VegasVideo was able to import the wmv and export to mpeg2 (need the MainConcept mpeg2 plugin). If you use it, then it's very easy.

Otherwise, another way is to convert the wmv to a DV codec AVI using windows Movie Maker, then most programs will be able to import it. Snag is you'll need 200MB+ per minute for DV codec, so entire movies will need lots of HDD space You can then import into vdub and frameserve to tmpgenc if you wish.

Does anyone have a better idea?

5. TAZ345

TAZ345 Guest

Ok i tried GoldWave and it froze up on my system when I tried to open the file. With SoundForge I couldn't find a free trial program. I'll try downloading VegasVideo.

6. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

.do a search for the "stoik video converter".
    it converts from wmv to avi.then you can stick it in tmpg to make the mpeg.