1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMP 6.4 opens then immediately stops after clicking website links to mpegs

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sk2004, Apr 5, 2005.

1. sk2004

sk2004 Member

Hi. All of a sudden, WMP stopped playing mpg/mpeg's on web sites when I click the link. It plays wmv's and avi's, but not mpg/mpegs. There is no problem playing files from my HD; ONLY when I click on mpg/mpeg links on websites. I receive the following error message:

[bold]
    Program Error. <process has already exited> has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. And error log is being generated. [/bold]

This has not always been a problem. I am not sure exactly when it started, or what programs I might have added that could have caused this. The fact that I can successfully play all files from my HD makes me think it's not a codec problem. But obviously something is conflicting or causing this to occur. When I click on an mpg/mpeg link on a website, WMP opens briefly, then disappears, leaving the above error message. I've done some Googles but haven't found anything so far to help. Any help is appreciated, and TIA.

sk

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. sk2004

sk2004 Member

Well, I guess I can reply to my own thread. LOL. (Especially if I've got some helpful updated info, that may be helpful to someone else.) I tried reinstalling the codecs specifically for WMP 6.4/W2K but that didn't help. Eventually, I installed Media Player Classic, from Source Forge. I had tried it a long time ago and for some reason opted for MS's WMP 6.4. I think that's about to change, since MP Classic had NO problems playing mpg/mpegs from links on websites (although it seemed to go about it a little differently, at least aesthetically. It d/l'd the entire file to a temp file, then began to play it.) But who cares?! It works! If anyone else has any info related to the original situation, I'm still interested, but in the meantime, I've got a workaround that might just end up being the final solution.