1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMP slow video playback

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by guzto, Apr 29, 2006.

1. guzto

guzto Member

OK, here is a tricky one for you. For about 3-4 months now my WMP has been behaving wierd, now it doesnt matter what type of filetype i play the playback is SUPER slow, it's litterally like watching paint dry. Ok i've tried updating WMP 10 and downgrading it to 9 again, ereased all codecs and installed just for example xvid the playback is the same. Now this happens also i web streaming. So after battleing this for 3-4 months now and doing everything shy of formattin my machine i cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with WMP. All other programs work like a charm. So bottom line WMP slow playback for every type of files.

The one who can figure this out is a genius :).

Regards,

Gustav

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, there could be a number of reasons for this.

Do you have Ad-Aware? If you don't you can get it at www.lavasoft.com. Run that to make sure your system is clean. I find it best to run in safe mode so that your startup items may also be scanned.

Make sure you run a virus scan.

Make sure you have enough memory.

Make sure your processor is fast enough.

Have you tried playing the information from your computer or are you playing it from another device.

A little more information on what you have done may help us come up with a solution to the problem.

3. guzto

guzto Member

Trust me it is not malware spyware or virus related i regularly scan my computer and do deep cleans as well regularly, it is not related to that im sure of. The problem isnt hardware related either or else i would get simular problems in the other softwares (i have a very up to date machine curse of beeing a computer geek :p). Im fairly sure the problem is isolated with WMP. I´ve done everything i can imagine upgraded from wmp9 to 10 and back to 9 and different versions of 9 and 10. I've cleaned my computers of codecs set basic codecs in or just the whole lot from k-lite. I´ve spent hours fiddeling with removing and adding codecs WMP's cleaning the system and god knows what, however the frightening task of formatting looks upon me. Now its a bit emberassing but as guy doing his masters in computer engeneering im completely baffeled.

p.s I´ve even tried cleaning out ALL video and audio playing software and then install WMP still same shabang.

With regards,

Gustav

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Out of curiosity, when you removed WMP did you clean the registry? Maybe there is something in the registry that is causing the problem. You could get a free version of HijackThis at tomcoyote.org/hjt This program is good for identifying problem areas in your registry. Just be sure to try it before you format. Maybe that will correct the problem. Trust me I know, formatting takes to long to restore. Give HijackThis a try first.

5. guzto

guzto Member

As i mentioned before i regularly do deep scans :). This involves HJT :)

And yes i cleaned the registry :).

But nice idea,

Gustav

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, I'm outa' ideas. You sound like you know as much as I do about computers. I do know of another site you can check called techrepublic.com or net. If someone in this forum can't help you can try there. I am just worried that it may just be a startup program that is interfering. I have faced similar issues and after formatting, I still had the same problem. Hope you can figure it out.

Good luck!
    P.S. If you get it figured out let me know. Thanks!