1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMP11 lost some playback capabilities

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by rainofire, Sep 10, 2008.

1. rainofire

rainofire Member

Hello, I am unable to play .MP4 anymore. The thing is I was able to play .MP4 on WMP11 without the install of codec packs. I had this file that wasn't able to play... a wmv file... I thought I was missing codecs so I installed K-lite... interestingly the file wasn't even a video but a .dll (some smart @ss just wanted to have fun) with a change extension. No it wasn't a virus, it was a regular system32 .dll, I found it out by opening it in reshack. Well, I un-installed k-lite since I didn't need it and I try to keep the number of apps on my laptop to a minimum. After the un-install I lost playback of .MP4..... Note, WMP11 was able to play .mp4 before the install of k-lite.

I want to know how to get .mp4 playback back without the install of ffdshow, haalisplitter, or vlc or of the such. I want to know, what was install in my laptop that allowed .mp4 playback.

The programs installed that is in my laptop are that have anything to deal with videos:
    Divx bundle
    PS3 & PSP Video 9
    Image converter plus 2
    Avisynth

And there is this thing called Sony mp4 shared library installed on my lappy when I got it. But I'm not sure about it.

I played mp4 as if it was a regular video file in WMP11, no little icon that pops up in the taskbar.

I would install ffdshow or k-lite again, but I want an answer to why wmp11 was able to play .mp4 and which of the programs secretly installed the mp4 codec.

Thank you for your help.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Is it possible the Laptop came with the capability to play
    mp4 when you got it? Something the manufacturer added into the
    build?

3. rainofire

rainofire Member

The only thing that came with my laptop that I can see that is MP4 related is the SONY MP4 Shared Library. But it seems that it is still installed, as I can see it in the add/remove program list. I even tried re-installing it to see if that worked. But sadly no. WMP11 still can't play MP4.

Note: My laptop is a SONY VAIO the model VGN-FS920