1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wmp11 rollback

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by IM1, Sep 21, 2006.

1. IM1

IM1 Regular member

it says enexpected error so i cant run the program.
    i've tried reinstalling but still no difference.

is there any possible way to role back to wmp10? i only just reinstalled my operating system and dont now tell me i have to do it again becuase of wmp11! :-(

if there isnt when will the proper release of wmp11 come out? maybe if i put that on it will work.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

wmp-10 download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx

i can not help ye but i can help others..
    all read this

Microsoft 'civil rights coup'

CLICK HERE TO READ Backing up and restoring licenses
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#1608319

p2pnet.net News:- You are a wallet with legs waiting to be raped, believes The Inquirer's Charlie Demerjian.

He's talking about revelations that turn up in Microsoft's voluminous Release Notes for Windows Media Player 11 Beta 2 for Windows XP, full of if's, but's and maybe's, and packed with tricky qualifications.

From the look of it, Bill and the Boyz have staged a "civil rights coup," and, "most people are dumb enough to let it happen," Demerjian declares, talking about the fact Windows Media Player 11 will no longer allow you to back up your licenses, which are now tied to a single device.

If you lose it, "you are really SOL," he observes, suggesting you read the links, and saying the entire page is, "scary as hell".

But, he states, the licensing part takes the cake.

Under Backing up and restoring licenses, "Windows Media Player 11 does not permit you to back up your media usage rights (previously known as licenses)," say the release notes.

However, depending upon where your protected files came from, you might be able to restore your rights over the Internet," says Microsoft helpfully.

If you encounter an error message that indicates you are missing play, burn, or sync rights for a file and you had these rights previously, you might be able to resolve the problem by restoring your media usage rights. You have several options to do so:

*If you obtained the file from an online store, contact the store to find out if it offers media usage rights (license) restoration (some stores refer to this procedure as computer activation, computer authorization, or license synchronization).

The procedure for restoring your rights varies from store to store. For example, you might be able to right-click the file in your library or click an Error button or an Information button next to the file, and then click a command. Or you might be required to delete the file from your computer and then download the file again.

The store might limit the number of times that you can restore your rights or limit the number of computers on which can use the songs or videos that you obtain from them. Some stores do not permit you to restore media usage rights at all.

For details, see the store's customer support or Help links.

*If the file is a song you ripped from a CD with the Copy protect music option turned on, you might be able to restore your usage rights by playing the file. You will be prompted to connect to a Microsoft Web page that explains how to restore your rights a limited number of times.

Translation? - says The Inquirer. "Not our problem, and get bent, we got your cash."

But it gets worse, as the story points out, referring to this, from the MS site:

If the file is a song you ripped from a CD with the Copy protect music option turned on, you might be able to restore your usage rights by playing the file. You will be prompted to connect to a Microsoft Web page that explains how to restore your rights a limited number of times.

And there's more:

Recorded TV shows that are protected with media usage rights, such as some TV content recorded on premium channels, will not play back after 3 days when Windows Media Player 11 Beta 2 for Windows XP is installed on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. No known workaround to resolve this issue exists at this time.

And ....

Content that is protected with media usage rights cannot be played in Windows Media Player 10 if a computer already has the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime installed (which is installed with Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP). In some situations, Windows Media Player 10 may quit unexpectedly when trying to play protected content and licenses for protected content might be lost.

And ...

You might not be able to play music from your Library if you are using a digital media receiver with Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP. This issue might occur if music files in your Library are not stored in a monitored folder when you upgrade from Windows Media Player 10 to Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP.

And ...

Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP might not be able to find a digital media receiver on your home network and therefore, won't be able to share digital media content with the device if Windows Live OneCare is installed on your computer.

It's a bit like the old, black joke, 'Apart from that, Mrs Kennedy, did you enjoy the ride?'

Bill and the Boyz arrogantly suggest various 'work-arounds' without the hint of an apology for the trouble they're causing.

For technically non-savvy people, it'll all be highly daunting. And why should they have to bother in the first place? This is, after all, no more than technology invented specifically to pour even more gold into Billionaire Bill's coffers.

(Thursday 21st September 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/9918?PHPSESSID=75505f7e1a326a134292ad201656fcb4

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  3. IM1

IM1 Regular member

dont worry!
    i've fixed it now! :)

4. ireland

ireland Active member

what did ye do to fix it?

5. IM1

IM1 Regular member

i put it back to wmp10.

it was a long proscess! lol
    well at first i tried to reinstall wmp10 but it didnt work so then i got really P****d so i went into the programs folder and deleted everthing in the windows media player folder.
    but after a few seconds they would jus come back even after deleting many times.
    then i thought to try system restore to restore the point before i installed wmp10. i only installed wmp10 few hours before installing wmp11 you see, becuase i reinstalled my win xp only on that day.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum