1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMV HD to AVCHD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by SithProbe, Aug 9, 2008.

1. SithProbe

SithProbe Member

Recently more and more Usenet groups are releasing Blu-ray rips of some very cool movies. I've heard some mixed reviews of titles like 21 and 10000BC, so the option to try em out before I shelled out 32.99 CAD was nice.

In most cases though they come packed as .mkv files. Theres no chance in hell I can view them on my PC. But even better they've come with .bat files to (lets see if I can get the right terminology here) unpack the .mkv convert it to vob. Then mux the files into a compliant AVCHD format dvd-dl.iso. Pop open image burn, BADA BING BADA BOOM! :D

Throw her in me precious PS3 and uhoh... what's an AVCHD disk? Press play and have my jaw hit the floor (didn't know that the PS3 could play that; didn't know it would look that sexy either!)

Question...
    What would be the simplest process if I had a .wmv 1080p file and I wanted to keep its resolution, for play back on the PS3?

Any insight would be awesome, cause I've had a terrible time discerning the right course of action from various forum searches.

:)

2. bugzy113

bugzy113 Regular member

The PS3 can play .wmv files. just enable it in system setting. If you want to put it on a disk, just burn as a data dvd and pop it in the ps3. Once enabled to play .wmv it should play it no prob. . . You can also copy it from the disk to your ps3's HDD. . . You can also put it on an external drive and watch from there. Or if you want to try something else, look into TVersity.com. . . This program lets you broadcast from your pc to your ps3. . . Hope this helps

3. SithProbe

SithProbe Member

i'm a bit thrown here. Long long ago I enabled the ps3 to playback WMA audio under the system settings. But since when has there been an option to enable WMV video playback...

I'm using the lastest system update, could you please list the sub menu order I have to go to.

In the serveral months since I first posted this message I've also noticed that it plays some WMV files sometimes have success and other times will have a host of audio/video playback issues.