1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMV to DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by BartBuilt, Nov 2, 2004.

1. BartBuilt

BartBuilt Guest

OK, I am trying to put some DVD's together for someone of the Boston Red Sox postseason. I am purhasing and downloading each of the 14 games from MLB.com but they come in .wmv format at about 650MB each

Here are my questions:
    What is a good program to convert from .wmv to DVD?
    Will converting them make them larger so that only one will fit on a DVD?
    If I can fit more than one on a DVD (quality is definately an issue), what is a good program to add menus to the DVD?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

2. geebz

geebz Member

bartbuilt,

i am in your same boat, and will be very interested in any reply you receive. i was out of the country for the first time every during ALCS and WS. my life-long favorite team beat all the odds and won both. go figure. in ethiopia, i had very poor access to communication, to say least.

thanks

geebz

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Dude,
    I downloaded some of those MLB games in WMV. They are 350K bitrate. They will not look too good even on DVD. But in any case, with Nero, you can use NeroVision Express and they will convert wmv files to burn on DVD.

4. BartBuilt

BartBuilt Guest

Hmmmm, can't seem to get Nerovision Express to do it. Whenever I try to add the video file it tells me "Unable to insert c://(location of media file).wmv"

5. mimans21

mimans21 Member

the quality would be horrible

6. capecomm

capecomm Guest

anyone have any luck with this ? same deal... SOX post season...

is there any like WMV to MPEG converter??

7. floydcat

floydcat Member

Don't know if anyone's still checking this thread, but the videos that you purchase from MLB.com are DRM files. Short answer: you can't make copies of them unless you stumble onto an illegal converter of some sort, which I haven't seen yet.

8. keebored

keebored Guest

Yes, I'm still looking for a converter to burn these postseason Red Sox games ( wmv files) that I would like to watch on my DVD Player on TV. but because of DRM I can not burn to DVD. Not FAIR especially where I paid for them!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2005
  9. floydcat

floydcat Member

Well, for the mlb stuff you could always stream it and record with a windows media recorder, but as mentioned above the quality of the video on your tv screen would be horrible (same with the ones you paid for). It's barely passable as is on the computer. You'd probably have better luck quality-wise finding sommeone who taped the games on ebay or a torrent somewhere.

10. Brian48

Brian48 Member

Wow. I thought I was the only one. I paid for and DL'd Game 6 of the ALCS east (the Schilling game). I wouldn't mind the .wmv (or DRM) format, however you're only allowed to get the license for 3 machines I think. I reformat a lot because I swap out hardware frequently. This would meant that eventually, I won't be able to play this file.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to convert this file to either DVD or some other format myself. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

11. Brian48

Brian48 Member

Just FYI, I've also tried it with VSO's DivxToDVD and got a message that it could not decode it (DRM protected).

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

For everyones info.

I dont believe you can convert .wmv files they are from them AZZZZ Holes at microsoft and they won't give anyone the codec's to convert there files.

If you can somehow get a hold of and older version of VirtualDub it will do this, but the newer versions won't cause Microsoft got mad at them. :-(

You could also try the movie maker that comes with Media Player (I never had to much luck with that program) Maybe it will work for you

13. Brian48

Brian48 Member

Nah, I already tried Movie Maker. I get the same "DRM Protected" error as soon as I try to import the .wmv file.

14. Brian48

Brian48 Member

OK, I found and DL'd an older version of VirtualDub (v1.3c). I don't get the DRM copyright error any more, but now I'm getting this:

Same error with both .wmv files I DL'd from MLB.com.

15. floydcat

floydcat Member

The streaming stuff from mlb is $4.95 per month in the offseason. It's not drm protected (at least last I checked). I tried recording a few minutes with Windows Media Recorder and it seemed to work fine. Of course, it will be in real time so game 4 alone will take 5 hours and I'm not sure how much hard drive space it will eat. As for conversion, again, I don't think the picture will be very good on a tv after the conversion process. But that's up to the beholder.

16. keebored

keebored Guest

yes I also downloaded VirtualDUB v1.3 and it also gave me the same message. I also check every P2P and torrent looking for the games and have not found a single one. What a bummer.......

17. Valomar

Valomar Member

Just a suggestion, there is a program for capturing streaming video that allows you to select the area of the screen to capture. You could select the edges of the video screen, and capture the movie to mpeg and then use whatever program you like to burn to dvd.

18. Stevetay8

Stevetay8 Member

Hi,

If you're still interested, the free version of TMPGEnc will do the job even though they only all conversion to MPEG2 for only 30 days. After that, you'd still be able to convert them to MPEG1 files for VCD.

19. michaelam

michaelam Member

I tried the WM Recorder solution and it told me missing codecs. :( oh well.

20. michaelam

michaelam Member

oh, and TMPGEnc said the wmv file type was unsupported...