1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMV vs ASX slider performance

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gymbeef, Jan 16, 2005.

1. gymbeef

gymbeef Member

I have a utility that records streaming video for later playback. I'm not sure if the problem is in the recording, or if its something that happens later through Media Player when viewing it, so I'm not sure where the asx file came from, but here's the problem.

I have a video file <name>.wmv that has an associated asx file <name>.wmv.asx. If I play the .wmv file, it works fine, but the time slider seems to be disabled. You can slide it, but when you let go, it just springs back to the previous spot, and the video just continues to play as it was. If I run the .asx file, it calls and runs the video file fine, but when I use the asx file, then the slider works properly, jumping to the new position the bar is moved to, and the video jumps ahead properly too.

There's nothing I can see in the .asx file that seems to be any kind of slider enable or time reference, just the name of its referenced wmv file. I've gone through every setting and option and preference, but can't see anything amiss, and spent three hours searching the web with no help finding a solution.

I want to have a single .wmv file without having to keep track of two files, but I also want the slider to work. Whats going on and how do I fix it?
    Thanks

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Windows Media files need to be indexed to be able to seek in all versions of Windows Media Player.
    It is possible that your ASX file is opening the file in the 6.4 version of Windows Media player which allows some limited seeking in files that are not indexed.

It is always best to download the files with a recorder that can index the file although files can also be indexed manually after downloading.

More information here.
    Conversion, Editing and Indexing.
    http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Much more information on streaming media recording at the link below. Start with the FAQ forum.