1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wolfgangs Vault.....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by saycoda, Sep 25, 2008.

1. saycoda

saycoda Guest

....is a great site for streaming of classic live music. How can I capture and record these streams with WM Recorder v12.1? They advertise that they can do it, but just don't say how.

Any info from peeps with experience in this area will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. Mez

Mez Active member

You can't!!!

I would use EAC. It is free. Do your self a favor, use a sensable bitrate. Most streams are very low quality. Sight unseen, I would guess you are listening to 70-90 bit rate I would record at 90. The bonus is EAC will not DRM your own music. I know it used to DRM all the music you ripped and don't really care what garbage apps like that and itunes do. They are always trying to do something bad to you.

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Yes you can, provided WM can record 'what you hear'. I don't use WM so IDK if it can. I use TotalRecorder for capturing streaming audio. And as far as bitrate goes, use LAME with a VBR setting (I use 96 to 256) and the encoder will encode at a rate appropriate to the stream. Total is actually a 'virtual soundcard' but there are apps that will record 'stereo mix'. MP3DirectCut can, and has the advantage of allowing you to cut the file into individual songs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. saycoda

saycoda Guest

maybe the way that I posed the question, wasn't clear. I'm positive WM can do it via a technique where you "paste" in the streaming URL. I guess my question should be, how do I obtain the url to paste into WM?

5. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

That you probably can't do. They use one of those pesky Flash players and I doubt the file is directly linked. I'm pretty sure not much more than a minute or so is cached at any given time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

Hey Teddy, I try to avoid audio capture as being less efficent for quality and my time but sometimes you don't have a choice. I do not even try to keep up with all the new audio apps. What are the advantages of TotalRecorder over EAC?

7. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

TotalRecorder is actually a 'virtual soundcard' and as such allows the source program to decode the audio stream. This means that when you re-encode you're starting with the 'best' quality audio available. This can be proved by using LAME in VBR mode. The interesting thing, though, is Total's ability to accelerate recording and still have the same quality. Because it looks like a soundcard, and isn't dependant on the hardware clock of a physical soundcard, it can tell the source program to feed it the stream as fast as it can. That means 8X transcoding of Audible files on my ancient Athlon, for example. Also, because it looks like a soundcard it gets around the lack of 'Stereo Mix' or 'What You Hear' audio inputs of many Vista audio drivers.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks! I fully understand the concept now. I do not stream because I suspect the streams are of low BR vs other sources. That the bit rates are not advertised is a concern for me. I prefer at least 190. I am guessing the streams are less than 128.
    One of the huge pains of audio capture that it must be done real time to waves so they can be edited if something goes a bit wrong. It will work for my next audio capture project.

You are a great resorce!

9. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

FWIW Wolfgang's streams seem to end up as 160 to 210 Kbps when using VBR...Interviews 100 to 150 or so...

10. Mez

Mez Active member

You are always comming up with these gems. I have to manually select a setting then the average bit rate just happens. I am always going from loseless CDs or loseless formats to VBR. Are you setting a high setting with VBR then allowing the compression to compress as much as possible as you capture?

11. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

I use 96 to 256. That seems to have enough headroom while allowing low bandwidth stuff to not waste space.