1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wont allow me to add audio pls help

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by siliyah, Apr 27, 2004.

1. siliyah

siliyah Member

Hi guys. i need some help/advice.
    i downloaded an avi movie and used tmGpec to encode it.
    then i used virtual dub to extract the audio.
    I then add the movie to TmGpec dvd author. the movie file added smoothly but when i try to add the audio file the program says :

illegal audio format.
    for standard dvd you can only use the following audio formats. Dolby digital (AC-3), MPEG-1 audio Layer-2 or linear PCM.

Can anybody tell me a way i can convert the audio file so the program will allwo me to import it.

Thanks in advance

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

You probably didn't have "full processing mode" in the audio menu. Try again with Vdub but make sure it's selected.

3. siliyah

siliyah Member

i cant find the full processing mode. what tab is it under?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Should have encoded the Audio to Mpeg1 Layer 2 in Tmpgenc because LPCM or Wav audio takes up Far too much space on the DVD...

5. siliyah

siliyah Member

when ever i encode audio in tmpgenc the audio doesn't work when i add them together in tmpgenc dvd author.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Maybe Try not useing Tmpgenc DVD author to Make your DVD"s...
    I personally like useing DVD-Lab and I have never had a problem with it not accepting any audio format as Long as it is DVD Compliant and if it isn"t it will usually tell me why and convert it to the correct format, It also makes Much nicer looking and More interactive DVD"s than Tmpgenc DVD author so Maybe give it a Try?

7. siliyah

siliyah Member

ok cheers minion ill give it a try. can u tell me wher i can get it from please.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

9. siliyah

siliyah Member

ok thank u so much. 1 more thing is it ok to encode useing tmpgenc then use dvdlad after?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you Must encode with Tmpgenc or some other encoder before authoring to DVD with DVDLab because DVDLab doesn"t have a Video encoder Built in so it will never re-encode your Files, it will also let you put SVCD files on to DVD which allows you to get up to 3 movies on a DVD...Cheers

11. siliyah

siliyah Member

Really! is it more complicated to put two movies on one disc?
    also is there any software that can encode files quick? ive been encoding one for nearly 7 hours.lol i used to think it was just fling the file into nero and burn. my god was i wrong!

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  12. Minion

Minion Senior member

It is Not much more complicated to put 2+ movies on a Disk, You just put a Link to each seperate Movie on the Main menu..You can even use Movies or small video clips as Menu" ,What I do sometimes is Take small scenes out of the Movie(s) I am putting on DVD and turn them into Motion menu"s so you can have a Menu simular to the ones on retail DVD"s....
    Tmpgenc is a fairly slow encoder compared to some others, The fastest encoder (And best quality)is probably CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.67 but it is also very complicated to use and you must know how to frameserve useing AVISynth or Virtual-Dub to use it properly..The next fastest encoder is probably the MainConcept Encoder 1.42,it is as good as Tmpgenc for Mpeg2 Quality and is 3 times as fast it can also be used to Capture Video from any capture Device connected to your system....Cheers

13. siliyah

siliyah Member

ok ive done encoding and authoring. the movie plays fine but.... i tried to add audio to the main menu and create some chapters in dvdlab but im findind it kinda difficult. thanks for all your help so far minion. i really appreciate it.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

What is the Problem you are haveing??? What are you finding Difficult??

15. siliyah

siliyah Member

the audio im adding to the main menu doesn't play properly. do i just drag it onto the the movie in dvd lab?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

To add audio to a Menu you Just Drag the audio file from the Media Pool to the Menu and drop it there and then you will se it show up under the Menu...
    The audio format you use in the Menu has to be exactly the same as the Format for the Movie cuz you can not mix audio formats on a DVD....

17. siliyah

siliyah Member

oh ok thats y the title musioc doesn't play properely on my dvd player. everything else is fine except that. is there a converter that can quickly convert my mp3 file to mp2 then?

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

Ohh...You are trying to Mix Mp3 with Mp2 audio?!?! You can use Tmpgenc to convert it to Mp2 or you can use a freeware audio encoder called "Headac3he" or "DB Power AMP" which is also free...

19. siliyah

siliyah Member

downloaded both of them but headac3he doesnt open and DPpowerAMP doesn'y give me the option to convert to mp2. is there a different name for it or something?

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

With "Headac3he" you must also download the required DLL files, and with DB Power AMP you have to go to "Codec Central" and download the Mp2 codec...there is a Link to "Codec central" on the DB Power AMP Web site....