1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't boot to bios, no beeps, FF code

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by klassic, Mar 15, 2009.

1. klassic

klassic Regular member

First of all I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum. Please correct me if I am.

I am building a new pc. I got it from Tigerdirect barebones. I have a MSI P6NGM2-L Motherboard, Intel E2200 Processor, Ultra X-Wind CPU fan, and 4gb Kingston DDR2 memory.

I have installed everything. I am using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. The computer won't even boot to bios. Nothing comes on the monitor. There are no beeps. The CPU fan comes on for 5-20 seconds and then shuts down the computer. I have tried once each with each stick of ram individually. I tried resetting the jumper, I tried removing the battery for about 15 minutes and it still won't boot. I have Post Code reader and it just shows FF immediately and never changes from that. I have tried reseating the heatsink several times with no luck. This is not my first build, I have never had this many problems.

Can anyone else offer some ideas?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RMA the motherboard for something else. nforce 6 chipset boards are disastrous.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It sounds like he bought everything as a set...he probably can't RMA to a better board.

Try disconnecting all the front pannel connectors (and any drives or expansion cards you might have) & starting the board by shorting the power-on pins with a small screwdriver...just to be sure you do not have any stuck buttins or mislabeled connectors. (Sounds a lot like a stuck reset button, or maybe even a LED connected to the sleep or reset headers).

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TD barebones seem to work as a discount when certain other items are purchased. If TD are nice they'll just reduce the amount of store credit he gets from the return and not make him RMA anything. Question is, are they nice?

5. klassic

klassic Regular member

I contacted TD before posting here. They referred me to MSI for tech support first. I posted basically the same message to MSI and they told me to reset the cmos jumper and remove the battery. Even though my post said I already tried that. They also suggested trying it with the mb outside the case to avoid any possible shorts. I will double check all my connections and try that out. Let you know the results when I do.

6. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

Just a suggestion, you can probably try another PSU. Borrow one of the store, like im doing right now XD

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. klassic

klassic Regular member

Brand new PSU so "probably" not the problem. I just got an RMA from TD so hopefully that fixes the issue. Thanx though.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's no guarantee, especially if it's a bad brand. If it's a TigerDirect barebone that's pretty much guaranteed, they all use really poor quality components.

9. aa_mir198

aa_mir198 Member

I had the same problem when I put my PC together, most the time the PC wouldn't load up but sometimes it did, if that's the case..when your PC does start working the first thing you'll need to do is update the BIOS, I did that to mine and it started working like a treat. Hope this helps.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Except no, as updating BIOSes has killed almost as many systems as it has saved. NEVER update the BIOS unless it is absolutely necessary, especially if you own an Asus board.