1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wont play on pc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by munchinuk, Mar 7, 2005.

1. munchinuk

munchinuk Guest

just another quick question..some backups will play fine on my standalone dvd player namely a goodmans gdvd161dx, which is great for playing back divx discs, but windows wont accept them..even though the back ups came from the same drive? mmm confusing or wot?...

2. thietlong

thietlong Member

Sorry but I can't really answer your question. I just want to comment that I too ran into similar problem as you are currently in right now. My apex played pretty much everything I throw at it, but for some reason I have these particular printed labeled discs that will not played whatsoever on my computer. I try with both the desktop and laptop and it still failed. I guess we are in the same boat then... :((

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I am not at all an expert on this but you might want to ask around and see if you need a firmware update...?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Munchinuk, That is a wierd issue. What make and model # is your burner? Do you have a separate dvd-rom drive? What programs are you using to rip/compress/and burn those backups?
    What brand name/speed/and format of media are you using? examle fuji +8x/burning them at 4x.
    That media and burn speed you are using may likely be the culprit.

thietlong: Paper-stick on labels are not recommended. I have seen many members here having trouble with them,usually they peel them off and they play ok. Heat issues and wobbling usually the culprits. Sharpies/ink jet priners/and thermal printers are the normal labeling.Some members are ok with these paper labels,when issues like you are having-that is the first thing to change. If your burner allows for book-typing for dvd-rom,it should make your backups more compatable in other pcs and stand alones.

Zenaro: Firmware update? Usually that is the fix for when a burner will not accept a certain manufacturers code on newer media-before it is burned.Your dvd-rw drive will spit it out that blank disc during the lead-in phase.

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Sorry Boss... Just saw it was getting toward the bottom of the page.

6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

God, I am so stupid!!! Hey saugmon you have helped me before some day would you help me get a firmware update? I don't know how to properly install it and stuff Thanks.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Z, i am not the firmware update guru. I just got a new burner for my spare pc and it wouldn't accept ritek-go4's. It had a web site on my instructions and is set up for automatic updates and I downloaded the latest update,followed instructions- just like downloading software- and let it do it automatically.Ritek go4's are now burning.
    My main pc has the older firmware,recognizing all the many brands/formats of media I use and burns 98% success rate,therefore I will hold off on it's update.

Just go to your burner's manufacturer's website,look up your fw version(bios screen or nero) and the latest version and make sure your model # matches the one you will update.Avoid hacked,non-manufacturers updates.
    Follow instructions to the T. There is a risk and one power interuption or anything else can wipe out your drive. Use caution.This update is usually a last resort.
    Check out the dvd-rw drives forums, you may find more info on that update.They may even give you the correct sites to search. Good Luck

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you

9. munchinuk

munchinuk Guest

my burner is liteon sohw1653s using dvd dycrptor and dvd shrink..my fimware is the lastest one.but this happens on different media..it burns it ok and will play on standalone but when i try to play it back on my burner it just says no disk or unsuported format also tried diferent burn speeds..some disks will play others wont..even same disks from same batch.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the media brand you are all using. I suspect the cause of this is poor media choices. Your standalone players are better adapted to reading poor media than your DVD writer or ROM's.

11. munchinuk

munchinuk Guest

yeah think it was a media issue..now im using ridisc media..which show as mitsubishi, ive had no problems..thanks guys

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Mitsubishi is very good. Good Luck