1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wont play on standalone

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by norwood, Dec 11, 2002.

1. norwood

norwood Member

i recently tried to backup my copy of zoolander. i ripped it, stripped it down to the main movie, which was 4.2 gigs, and then created an image and burned it. it plays fine in my pc but not my two standalone dvd players. any ideas why?

2. Galbin

Galbin Guest

Could be one of three reasons:

1. Your standalone doesn't recognize recordable media; or

2. Your media isn't compatible with standalones - for example I have found that Memorex discs are always recognized (and usually even play), while Philips discs are never recognized. (I gather that this had to do with the reflectivity of the particular brand or disc); or

3. You have the wrong files on the disc. You need at least two .ifo's, two .bup's and a bunch of .vob's. Your PC doesn't need the .bup's, but a standalone does.

3. norwood

norwood Member

thanks for the response. my dvd player is a sony, and according to the manual it plays dvd-r and dvd-rw. the dvd-rw i used is a maxell, i have also tried sony, neither work. i double checked and all the proper files are there too.

when i burn an image in ifoedit it seems to work but then my standalone says "the disc is dirty". when i burn all the files into the video_ts folder in nero, then the standalone says "cannot play this disc".

4. Outlaw7

Outlaw7 Guest

Try using the wizard in Nero and select the DVD-Video option. If I burn a DVD just as a "data" DVD then sometimes my standalone will not play, however if I burn it as DVD-Video through Nero, it works everytime.

Good luck.

5. rubberman

rubberman Regular member

Here is what worked for me. In the past i used Nero in dvd-rom(udf/iso) mode and dvd-video mode to burn my VIDEO_TS folder which didnt work on my stand alone dvd player. But switched the setting to the dvd-rom(udf) mode with physical partition1.02 and NO multisession. Now every disc i burn works in my player. Good chance it will work on yours too.