1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worked In Regular DVD Player But Now Stopped Working, Please Help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by fst2008, Aug 18, 2008.

1. fst2008

fst2008 Member

I'm having this strange problem with using Nero and I dont understand why. Hopefully someone will be able to give some ideas on how to fix.

I had a brand new laptop that I installed Nero on it along with some other programs I needed. I was able to burn a few DVDs using Nero and was able to play them in my Regular dvd player with no problems...

Now...I dont know if the next part I'm about to say has anything to do with it, but at some point as time when on, I installed more programs, one was Slysoft Anydvd, a few anti-virus programs and etc.

And then for some reason, again I dont know why...when I burn the dvd using nero, it goes thru fine, but when I try to play it on my regular dvd player it does not work. When I burn it, I do not get any errros at all. I even read the article from Digital Digest on burning with Nero and followed the steps and it still will not work.

Please if any can think of some reason why this is happening,
    Jo

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Do the original discs that you burned before you installed all those
    programs still work in the dvd player?

Is it a different brand/batch of blank disks ?

DO the burned dvd's play properly in the computer?

3. fst2008

fst2008 Member

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help out.

The dvd player I'm using to watch the movies, is a regular dvd sony player. Its part of my home theater stuff. The type of dvd disk I'm using are all the same from the ones that worked to the ones that are not working...they are TDK.

The files I'm trying to burn to dvd are the .vob type and in the beginning they would work on the home dvd player but for some strange reason it will not play...the dvd display bar says...'cannot play'.

Thanks for the help...let me know what you think

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Could it be you created a PAL DVD but your player only
    supports NTSC ? (Or vice versa)

PAL VOB is 720*576 @ 25 frames per second
    NTSC VOB is 720*480 @ 29.97 FPS.

Not all players play both types.

You should be able to check the type in the computer.
    They do play in the computer, don't they?

5. fst2008

fst2008 Member

ok....maybe the PAL/NTSC thing might be the problem. As for the computer...both the good and bad dvds play in the laptop.

Can you tell me if this is possible....could I take a dvd that I burned and know it works in my regular home theater dvd player...and put it into my laptop and check if its NTSC or PAL...How can I check this???

Thanks

6. fst2008

fst2008 Member

Opps...sorry I forgot to ask this question. I'm using Nero 8 to do all this stuff.

Is there a setting or etc where I can force Nero to burn the movie in the correct format...PAL or NTSC???

Meaning....on SOME movies when I'm about to burn the movie, a small windows pops up saying something like the movie is mostly in PAL but if you want to burn it in NTSC press OK. However...

if when I try to burn the movie again, if the windows does not POP up...is there a way to select the format I want to burn it in???

Thanks and sorry for the double post,
    JO

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain media brands won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    *******5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.)Taiyo Yuden is the only brand I use! Verbatim is also top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch! Using quality media that is most recognized by players/recorders stop MANY problems like the ones you are getting!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

the PAL/NTSC is very important, but Nero already took care of that when you pressed OK (if you want to burn it in NTSC press OK) so it won't ask you again with a pop up window if you are burning the same project! This isn't your problem..... to me..... it's a media problem. TDK is not the best media to burn to and it's quality control is not the same for every disk on the spindle! so you might use one disk and it works and then the next disk might not work! I have a Sony DVD/CD player for my surround sound home system and it play MOST disks I throw into it.... but I found out a long time ago that Taiyo Yuden has the best quality control and it's compatibility rate is unparalleled by any other disk made! So I keep using what works! I haven't had a bad disk in over 3,000 burns and by now it's over 4,000!~ Using good media makes the kind of errors that you're getting go away and never come back! It's important to use the best media you can get so that if you do lend a disk to a friend you can be sure that it will play on THEIR player without problems like skipping, pixelations, freezing or just not playing because the player is having a hard time reading the disk! Which is what your player is doing! follow the instructions above and you'll have better success!

8. fst2008

fst2008 Member

First I want to thank you for taking out the time to help with the advice. It was alot of good info.

I had thought maybe it could be the media but in the beginning I was able to burn full length movies with no problem...and then all of a sudden it stopped working...and the blanks that I'm trying to use are from the same pile that did work...I just dont understand.

Could it be possible that this program that I installed might be causing some kind of issue...it was Slysoft Anydvd...is this possible somehow?

Thanks in advance for the help,

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Like I said..... TDK just doesn't have the same quality control for every disk.... so if you have a "PILE" of TDKs and they used to work for you ...... now they don't.... it's possible that your TDKs are just not of the same quality made as the ones that did work! This is why I stick with Taiyo Yuden! Their quality is the same for all their disks and they work all the time! change your media to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim! These are the two top notch disks.

AnyDVD does not have conflicts with Nero.