1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workgroup networking problem - ping ip but not name

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fritchdog, Mar 22, 2004.

1. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

I have 2 winxp pro computers hooked up together through a wireless router, but I am using my 10/100 connection. I have my cable modem also hooked up to the router, and have the router config w/dhcp. My router's ip is 192.168.0.1, my main computer has been given 192.168.0.100, and my second pc has been given 192.168.0.101. I have each computer assigned to the same workgroup name and fully rebooted. Each computer tcp/ip is config for auto. I am able to ping each other's ip address, but not name and can't find each other's folders on the network. Sounds like DNS and smells like DNS, but I have no DNS server. It's a simple workgroup. I do believe my Cable isp provides DNS service. Is that the problem?

2. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

Now both computers have Internet access through my router after refreshing my router, and my main computer can ping the ip of 2nd, but my 2nd can't ping ip of main pc. AND now when I view workgroup computers I see the main computer from the second, but when I click the icon it says "\\name_of_main_pc is not accessible. You might not have permission to use..... I have set up any security/permissions, and I am logged in as admin for pcs.

3. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

correction....I have NOT set up any security/permissions.

I simply just want to transfer files from my one pc to the other. No burner on the computer w/the data and its a laptop.

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Check the following:

1 - if username and password is different on each of the PCs, then entries have to be made to authenticate them, make the new entries administrators.

2 - check the XP Pro built-in firewall settings on both PCs (disable them)

3 - when you create shares, check that permissions (write etc) are applied correctly - tip, use ADMINISTRATOR GROUP

Have Fun...

5. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

One thing I didn't see; are both computers on the same workgroup?

6. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

Yes, both computers in the same workgroup. I spoke to a buddy of mine who thinks its a security feature w/xp that is set up by default.

7. bigfoot18

bigfoot18 Member

The router doesn't have a firewall, does it?

8. Insite

Insite Guest

open a command prompt on each machine. type ipconfig /flushdns <enter> and then ipconfig /registerdns. you have conflicting records on one of the machines.

9. clsgman

clsgman Member

I have the same problem as you. One computer can ping the other but not vice versa. So while I can see the client's files from the server; but cannot see server's files from client machine. Did the ipconfig /flushdns solve your problem?

10. Insite

Insite Guest

clsgman -

can you ping anything else? if not, the tx module on your nic is bad. replace the nic in the machine that can't send a ping.

11. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

[bold]Insite:[/bold]
    BAD ADVICE!!!

The fact that he CAN ping a machine from somewhere else is proof that the TX is working - where do you think the ping reply comes from?

I do wish people would THINK!!!!

12. clsgman

clsgman Member

Thanks to both of you. My NIC is working fine. The problem was even though I disabled Zone Alarm, I followed the advice of another post and I uninstalled it completely. That seemed to have done the trick. I'm finally sharing files. It feel good.