1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Works in DVD Player but Not Computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TobyB, Feb 5, 2005.

1. TobyB

TobyB Member

I use DVD Decrypter then Shrink then back to Decrypter to burn the main movie. When I watch the movie on my computer the movie will freeze somewhere in the middle but i can watch the whole movie on my DVD player with no problems. Any ideas? This has happened on the last 2 movies i did.
    Thanks
    Toby

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Do you have just the 1 dvd-rom/rw drive or are you set up like me: 1 Dvd rom drive to rip and 1 combo dvd-rom/rw drive to burn?.

I ask this question because I have answered quite a few problems like this and found out they were playing their backups in their dvd-rom drive only,not the dvdrom/rw drive-the drive that burned it.That can make quite a bit of difference.

The drive that burned that backup,must be able to play it and it should look pretty darn good,when viewing them on your pc.

Here's a few questions we need answered to get started:
    What brand name/format/burn rating of media are you using? example=sony + 4x.
    What brand and model # is the burner?
    How fast did you burn that backup?
    Do you multi-task during any of the dvd backing up process?
    When was the last time you defragged?
    Do use stick-on paper labels?
    They play ok in your dvd player; Is this a stand alone player?

3. leroyt

leroyt Member

I am having the same problem. I ca not play dvd's that I backed up using DVD Decrypter and shrink on the DVD r/rw that i created them on. They play fine in my home dvd players perfectly though. I have used Anydvd with shrink and they play fine in my computers dvd r-rw. I have defraged recently , i am using Kyocre +r disks in a generic dvd r-r/w.

4. TobyB

TobyB Member

I use some unknown cheap brand of DVD-R burned at 1x, samsung burner, i dont do anything else while it is burning, i have not defraged in a long time, no labels and yes it is a stand alone DVD player. I will try it in my DVD rw drive and see it that helps.
    Thanks
    Toby

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey tobyb and leroyt, The quality of media is the #1 problem in dvd burning.

The pc driver that burned it should be able to play it.Using a quality viewing program like windvd or powerdvd,you should get a great picture on your playbacks.

Many people using the cheap,generic,piss-poor bulk rate/discount media. They watch these backups on their pc and say wow!,20 cents a disc and great picture.

Now I am like many other members and view those backups on stand alone players. This is the true test of the quality of media you are using. Certain standalones magnify the problems of poor media:freezing,pixellating,skipping,jumping,blocky,and plain old "no disc inserted errors" are just a few of the numerous problems poor/low quality media can cause.
    Cheap/low quality media has to be burned very slow,just to be able to view them at all. Tobyb-you are already down to 1x so therefore,switch brands of media.
    Try some maxell/sony/fuji/tdk-preferably made in japan. Just look on the label if you buy your discs in a local chain store.If the store doesn't have Made in Japan media,taiwan is the next best country to use.Japan makes the finest discs in the world. I haven't paid more that 40 cents a disc in the last 3 months with all the local store sales.Maxell is overall a fairly good media in both - and + formats,try a small pack of them.I am quite fond of maxell -4x yellowtops.

The cheaper media is also breaking down in as little as 6 months down the road. With the fewer coasters,better playability and longevity of high quality media,you'll probably save more $$$ and valuable time.

6. TobyB

TobyB Member

Thanks for the info. I played the disk in my burner and it worked fine so hopefully that was the fix. I planned on upgrading my media after i figured out this whole burning thing. I never realized how complicated it can be. Again Thanks
    Toby

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Just a little info on recording and playing. Standalone players are made to be more forgiving. A good example is their ability to play those scratched up, beat up and discolored discs you get back from loans or after the kids and the dogs get through with them. (Does cyclic redundancy ring any bells.) To get to the point. The standalones are meant to be forgiving and will play things a PC will freeze on.

Too many errors in one spot will stop a recording or PC player where the standalone in the entertainment center just keeps chugging along. DVDInfoPro is a good software program for checking disc errors. http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ I once had to return 3 DVDs before I could get one that would burn and they would all play on the standalone. As stated by the other members, low quality media can cause a lot of burn problems and that boils down to write errors the PC has trouble reading.

So, it's nothing unusual to run into something that will play okay on the standalone and stick on the PC. First order of business, do the visual check and make sure the disc is free of smudges and relatively free of scratches. Polishing with a soft cotton cloth helps. Old Ts work well. Scratches and discoloring can be repaired with a resurfacing tool like Skip Dr as long as the problem isn't too deep into the polycarbonate surface layer. If the disc checks out physically and there is still a problem, then it's time to check it out with a test tool like DVDInfoPro. A few minor errors won't cause a problem, but when you start getting noticable strings, you run into read problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey tobyb, media is the # issue for dvd burning. This isn't like cd burning and any dvdr disc you slap in will work. The higher quality media should get you up to the normal and safe 4x burn speed.

Keep that hard drive de-fragged.I average 3 a week,some de-frag every day. Your hard drive takes a beating when you are moving those 4+ gig files around.It can also speed you up.

Keep the spyware off your pc,that can really screw you up.

Keep your pc tower clean of dust,some of these dvd programs can heat it up by 5 degrees,like dvd shrink.

Hang out in the dvd-r media forum,someone there always letting us know where the sales are for high quality media. Good Luck and happy burning!

9. brobear

brobear Guest

saugmon is right on keeping the system clean of adware and spyware. That cleanup should be at least once a week with a good virus check. And the physical aspect shouldn't be overlooked. Besides dust that accumulates on the surface, check the fan intake. I open my case about once a month and dust it with compressed air (not too close to the components and not close enough to exert damaging force with the air and of course the power is disconnected). So, it's a good idea to follow saugmon's advice on PC cleanliness. ;)

Good prices all the time at Meritline http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-plus-blank-media.html
    and Newegg and the sales are easy to find at http://www.bizrate.com (US market).

There's two schools of thought on defragging hard drives. Personally I think it can be over done. I buy several movies a week. I may have defragged my drives once in the past six months with no noticable loss in performance. The equipment is only about a couple of years old. There is a large WD 250GB drive partitioned into 2 sections. One contains the OS and programing and I only stick a movie in there on occasion when I'm running low on space. The second drive is an 80GB WD which is pretty much relegated to Video files only. So, with the newer bigger drives, defragging isn't as important as with the older smaller drives. It may vary from PC to PC, but there is no need to defrag until you start seeing a loss in performance. The performance loss usually precedes any other problems. So just use some common sense on it. Do it when you need it. It's a time consuming process, especially if you have more than one drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

For those with one drive, partition the OS and programming and leave the other part of the drive for work and storage. That way your drive works the same as 2 drives and the part with the programming won't need defragging all the time. Then just defrag as needed.

11. leroyt

leroyt Member

Brobear and saugmon thank you for all the advice. I like, brobear have a hard drive dedicated to just dvd's, I try to defrag it once a week. As far as media, I have been using hp dvd's. I just got a package of Khypermedia disks to try. If these dont work then I will try sony next. The problem I dont understand is why do they play on my computer if i use anydvd to decrypt them and they dont play if I use dvd decrypter.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

AnyDVD breaks the encryption as soon as you put in the disc. It's like having a region free disc without encryption. DVD Decrypter is used to rip to the HDD and will do so in different modes. You have to choose the one that is compatible with your software. Ripping in File mode is the method most compatible with most software. However, some programs, Shrink included, will handle both ISO from ISO Read mode and Video_TS from File mode. Some programs require the ISO to be loaded in an emulator (virtual drive) to be able to use it. DVD Decrypter has proven to be an excellent program with a low failure rate. So, I wonder if the problem could be in your setup or the software on your PC.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Funny, with HP and Sony you may end up with some of the same media. Both sell Mitsubishi (MCC) manufactured media. Ricoh has also made some of the Sony +R recently and of course sony makes some of their own. Sony has a good name, but the media tends to be over priced. Khypermedia has developed a bad rep, so good luck with those. Let us know how it turns out.

14. TobyB

TobyB Member

Kinda of off topic but if i get a new HD how do I get all the stuff thats on my old one to the new one?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

When I added a new hard drive, they supplied software to do it. I got a disc with the hard drive.