1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Works on my computer, but not dvd player?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by lmac222, Apr 25, 2007.

1. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

Ive burned using convertxtodvd...got a menu and 3 files on one dvd

i normally put my copies back into my computer to see if they were successful. It plays fine on my computer. Pop into my dvd player and its like the screen continues to scroll. The menu looks correct though, no problems there. Just the movie scrolls up/down or however u want to call it. Just makes me wonder how many burns i got that i havent watched yet are good on my dvd player

On my computer it will play with VLC. DVD Salvagable? Something i can tweak on my DVD Player? Shouldnt matter but the DVD Player is an Emerson.

2. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

also it wont play with WMP.

3. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

What model of player do you have? Playback capabilities of stand alone units vary. You might be using the "wrong" format that it can not play back.

You could try bitsetting your disks to ROM during the burn process. Only + format disks can be set to ROM. Only IF your burner is able to do this. So many variables.

Let's start with the name/model of your stand alone unit. And go from there.

4. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

My dvd player is an emerson
    not sure the model #

but ive used convertxtodvd for over a year now and once in a blue moon ill get this. Have anything to do with my burning settngs on convertxtodvd under video standard i have automatic, instead of NSTC?

5. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Here is a link to VideoHelp to look up what type disks will work on your Emerson player:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...changer=&dvdtv=&chipset=&orderby=Name&hits=50

My thoughts were to be sure what it plays, ie. +/-R, +/-RW, etc. Be sure to use Good Quality disks. Some stand alones can be picky.

Not familiar with your software package. But, go over your burn settings. Burn at half the rated speed of the disk, ie. 4X on 8X media. Select NTSC if you are USA Region 1. PAL is Europe Region 2. Sometimes settings can slip around if you use Automatic. Always choose what you want.

IF your player accepts +R disks and IF your burner supports bitsetting, try setting the type to "ROM" when you burn the disk. Not all burners can do this, but if yours can, it will help improve compatibility on stand alone players. Nero CD/DVD Speed, under Toolkit if you have Nero, has a function under the "Extra" tab for bitsetting. If you don't have Nero you can still download the utility here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

This pretty much covers what I was headed for not knowing the player model or burner model (which I had not asked yet). Hope it helps.

Maybe others that are familiar with the software package can add to this.

6. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

ill need to find the manual to see which model # mine is

but the discs are verbatim dvd-r

but ive got tons of the same from the same burner same program that work