1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Of Warcraft Installation Help

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Dissentor, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Dissentor

Dissentor Member

I installed all five discs,and that was all perfectly fine. It became a shortcut on my desktop,and so I clicked on it. So far so good. But when I hit 'play' a message appears. It says:

"World of Warcraft was unable to start 3D acceleration. Plase make sure that DirectX 9.0c is installed and your video driver is up-to-date."

I think I installed the DirectX 9.0c,but I don't really know what a video driver is...can anyone help? Ive been at it for days.

2. arcturis

arcturis Member

A video driver is what tells your video card how to display and play images. You can kind of think of it as a piece of software that controls the video card in your computer. I would suggest installing DirectX 9.0c off of the game CD and see if that resolves your issue. If that doesn't solve the issue then the video driver for your video card will need to be updated. In order to determine what video card is installed in your computer, right click on My Computer and select manage. When the new window pops up select Device Manager under System Tool. In the right pane of the window, expand Display adapters and you should see what kind of video card you have whether it be NVidia or ATI. Another way to determine what kind of video card you have is to download and install a program called Everest Home. Its a cool little program that scans your computer and lets you know everything about your computer. You can find this program here http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml. It is a free program that you can download and use. Hope this helps.

3. arcturis

arcturis Member

It appears that the link I posted does not go to the correct page. Go to this page, http://www.softpedia.com/ and do a search for Everest Home and you will find the program. I did forget to mention that once you find out what type of video card you have, go the that manufacturers website and look for the Support page where you can download updated drivers for your video card. You can also find some drivers for video cards at the site I have posted.