1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Opinion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by DarkmanX, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Very possible, but if I truly thought he was I wouldn't have said anything :)

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well there are good fish in these waters.... and then there are the types of fishies that ban yer sorry ass. A differening opinion is one thing -- genocide is another: sure you can format your harddrive and start over -- but you cant apply that stupidity to people

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was going to respond to him. Not on the whole genocide, kill everyone comment. But on the suttle statement:
    HHmm reminds me of the USA. But because USA and even Canada are so freaken huge, its not called war but street violence, Racism wars, Motor wars, street wariors ete ete ete. Ther is just as much war behind your house as in everyone else house. Unless of course the USA is on a bombing run.
    Humans fight, its what we do. Just look here!

4. brobear

brobear Guest

I have to agree with Praetor. Even if the character was fishing, someone needed to say how full of crap he is. Genocide and nuclear holocaust are just not my favorite cup of tea. The guy was obviously something akin to a skin head fanatic. Now where did those assinine characters originate? The US has a bunch of them, but that isn't a home-grown phenomena.

[bold]I was going to respond to him. Not on the whole genocide, kill everyone comment. But on the suttle statement:
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i mean look at the way they live, war war war all the damn time
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HHmm reminds me of the USA. But because USA and even Canada are so freaken huge, its not called war but street violence, Racism wars, Motor wars, street wariors ete ete ete. Ther is just as much war behind your house as in everyone else house. Unless of course the USA is on a bombing run.
    Humans fight, its what we do. Just look here![/bold]

Seems like Prisoner is on a bit of a USA bashing spree. There is a lot of violence, but I don't believe violence is being taught as a religion in the schools. Granted there are places one doesn't want to go when the sun goes down (or for that matter when the sun is up). But all countries have their own problems.

Put a Westerner in Saudi Arabia or any of a number of countries in the region. For that matter there is a lot of internal violence besides. So what's the point? No road rage on the autobahn? No racial discrimination in France? No religious persecution in Iran? No genocide in Africa or Bosnia? No racial problems in South Africa? The French love Americans? (Who snubbed the US by noticably not attending the Reagan Funeral?) The US didn't go to Iraq alone. Even though some politicians try to make it seem so.

And then there was that Oil For Food situation, I don't think I would have voted for a war if I was making that kind of money either. Screw the moral and political situation. Of course... (Just a facetious, rhetorical statement if you didn't catch it.)

I don't know of many countries free of violence. In fact, I don't know of any country without a police force. USA and Canada are big places with a large population so there is going to be more violence due to an elevated population density. Maybe I am one of the lucky people. The children can play outside and I don't lock the doors yet (except at night).

I can even say I don't like a certain politician and not get my tongue pulled out. You didn't say I don't like Saddam in Iraq. He had his own son-in-law murdered. So, all I'm saying is that there are some places worse than the US. The US may not be the best or the friendliest place in the world, but a lot of people are dying just trying to get here. Or is it they are dying just trying to get away from where they are living on the way to the US?

Granted the USA has its share of assinine individuals, now look around the rest of the world. There are no shortages and every country has their fair share. 'People who live in glass houses should throw no stones...'

Its sort of a funny thing, anybody hear about a global economy? Bin Laden wants the US out of Saudi Arabia and the region (probably this plane of existence). He doesn't want the US defiling the Holy site. Yet if not for the foreign money he wouldn't have lived so well most of his life and he wouldn't be a member of such a wealthy family. Then if the oil wasn't being sold on the international market, what would be the standard of living in the oil producing regions. Just hate those folks supplying the money for the oil. Without the oil money, where would the terrorist money and power base be? Everyone seems to be feeding the opposing side and whose really paying attention?

I am a proud citizen of the US that realizes we have assholes just like the rest of the world.

Did I go longer than Praetor?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2004
  5. Praetor

Possibly but dont forget two things (1) violence in the states, while perhaps not as militant as in other places is still quite common -- I didnt mention LA for nothin hehe (2) regarding the religion let's not forget that neither you nor I (I dont think you do but it's possible otherwise) understand how their religion works and what their cultures are like etc -- im sure other people from different cultures and religons can look upon us and criticize similar kinda things blah blah blah; essentially I'm trying to say that we dont -- well I dont at least, fully understand the "other side" -- we pretty much know what CNN tells us -- that may be the whole unbiased story or it may not be but in either case the average watcher probably doesnt have the cultural understanding required to understand perhaps some of the reasonings of the other religions etc.

Short of implementing a Singapore type system (which I respect and admire even though I dont think I have the cultural discipline to survive in it hehe), crime and violence are damn near eeeeeeeeeverywhere.

Nope :p I think mine was approaching 10000 characters.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Brobear, you miss interpret. I am a Canadian and brought Canada in to my rant so the it wasn`t just USA bashing. The point I was tring to make was the at USA is not prefect, and has just as many wars as other countries but they aren`t called wars. The south still fights the north, the black churches fight the white churches (all thouse burnings) the poor fight the rich. And then there are murders and street violence. For Canada, we have Native americans fighting whites, we have Quebec dispute, we have the whole coutry hates people from Toronto (the wars are here too). So if someone is going to the high road and say USA is perfect and the rest of the world are little violent children. Then I will have to say they are wrong. Like lets not even start on the whole killing everyone thing. but the whole reason for that action commented was wrong!!

Also technically China doesn`t have a police force, but talking to people in my lab from china. They do have an unofficial one. But the argument on people density i think is wrong as Canada is freaking huge. Like really freaking huge and We have the population (total) as Tokyo its almost the same number. So I would say the small island of Japan which is not nearly as internally violent, has much higher population density then USA and Canada. Also look at India, has the highest population density in the world.

Our problem is that we only get the what the media wants us to get. Humans get into wars and fight, its what we do. That was my main point. No country is better than any other.

7. Praetor

Who mentioned a Chinese police force????

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

brobear said he didn`t know of any country without a police force. I thought China was without, but people from china here were saying that they unoffically do.

9. Buik

Buik Regular member

This a war between cultures. Sunni vs Shi. Muslims vs Jews. Muslims vs Christians. Muslims vs anyone who does not believe in their vison of god. Been going on now for about 1400 years. Islam is not a peaceful religion. Islam is still devoted to spreading itself over the entire world.

If Islam were a peacful religion then you might see more outrage at the slaughter of innocents. The outrage is not there. That is what is starting to "fire up" some people. The utter lack of outrage & condemnation for the brutal beheadings these past few weeks from Islamic religious leaders, and their devotees, is deafening. I can understand that to a degree. Disagree with a radical cleric and you're marked for death. Say something publically that is complimentary about the USA and you are marked for death by terrorists.

If we wanted Iraqi oil, it would have been cheaper to just buy it. If we wanted to convert them to Christianity, well, there would be fewer Mosques standing and fewer Imam's running around trying to kill Coalition soldiers and innocent civillians. If their schools taught basic education instead of religous fanatacism things would not have come to this.

As for what many think of the USA? I don't care anymore. I wasn't alive the last time another country "saved our bacon" or sent us "foreign aid". If the USA is so bad, why do so many risk a small fortune (in their home country), and even death, to get here. I would hope that it is more than our social programs.

TC

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I think you miss spelled Catholic there, I haven't seen it spelled that way before.

Islam = terrorist as Christian = ?
    I know you know the answer, Oh yes you have it KKK!

Not ever member of a religion equals everone other member of that religion, and that goes for all regions. Including the religion of Prisoner. :p

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Prisoner,
    If the Chinese military isn't the largest police force in the world, I'll eat my hat. I think we pretty much said the same thing, everyone and their country has their problems. Wasn't sure where you were coming from. My country isn't perfect, none are, but I still love the country. With everything going on in the world and a lot of US bashing, and old allies falling by the wayside, a little paranoia is in order.

Praetor,
    Only know of Islam what I picked up in college studies and some reading. One can't really understand a religion unless they live it. That's why I don't condemn people according to religion. Actions and social doctrines are another situation though. Watch CNN and Fox News, take an aspirin, and you still have a headache. News services normally only tell bad news, so one is usually lead to believe the worst if they only pay attention to the news. Then you have a left and right point of view. News is definitely not unbiased.

The world condition is a mess and I doubt it will be resolved in our lifetime. Similar problems have been going on for centuries. There is no need to go into world history. Anyone with a decent education should know wars of the past. Seems on the government level, no one seems to learn from history. Just hope things can be resolved to the point where everyone isn't trying to off everyone else.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  12. Buik

Buik Regular member

What? Everyone get along with each other? There are people who can't get along with theirself when they are the only one in the room.

All these posts have re-inforced what I was taught in USAF Dental assisting classes. People are stressed out having to go the dentist as it is. "Do not discuss politics or religion" with the patient.

TC

PAX

13. brobear

brobear Guest

There goes world opinion.

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sorry I could stop laughing with the
    Can`t we all just get along.
    thing. Bet him so more, heee hee.

Sorry, I really do know that was uncalled for.

But aren`t we entitled to our opinion`s and geting a world perspective is really cool.

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I think if the world smoked a bowl every morning we wouldn't have any problems (except getting enough people to man the Dorito factories). Who's got time to fight when you're mellowed out and the Simpson's are on?

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Interesting solution, only there is a problem. Believe it or not, herb smoking varies by culture. Whereas some folks mellow out, others become hostile. So once again, no universal cure. Though it would work in my neighborhood. Now if they would only make it legal and get the price down. I want the Doritos concession.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  17. Buik

Buik Regular member

Brobear, how true about the culture connection. I can't verify it, but a few decades ago I heard or read that "assasins" was derived from "Hashishans". Probably involved Hookahs also.

How about debating teams?

TC

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Debating teams? Man, you really want a war.

19. Praetor

I did that in highschool! :) (phew! i wasnt the only one hehe)

20. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I'm glad cooler heads have prevailed on this topic! I started this thread to get a "world Opinion" of what's going on in Iraq and how other citizens of the world viewed us. I knew I would not agree with a lot of the opinions, but thats what they are, opinions, like assholes, everyone has one, and should have the right to be heard.

The deadline is fastly approaching and I still haven't seen enough to believe that once we leave, it won't get worst there. Their so called police forces run at any sign of trouble and don't seem to have any respect from the population, other than being puppets of the U.S. forces. There has been mention of individuals that have died in this war and I want their deaths to mean something, if we relinquish control, leave and the country gets taken over by neighboring fanatics, what would the sacafices have meant? There still has been very few Iraqi citizens providing intelligence of where these terrorists are hidihng and who is supplying them! Shouldn't they want to help by now? In the beginning I understood that they did not trust that the U.S. would stay the course, but it's been over a year, come on!!!

As far as debating, that would be fun. I also was on a debate team in Highschool. It was called Student Congress and it was based on the U.S. congress. Students would author bills for one of three committees; Public Affairs, Foreign Affairs, and Economics). The different chambers would vote on what bills they wanted to address and the author would speak on why his/her bill should be passed. A moderator would select individuals who wanted to support the bill and then give opponents a chance to refute the passing of the bill. There would then be a vote at the end of the session to see if the bill passed.

I wanted to see if I could write a long message seeing as how there were a few novels in this thread! Don't think I could compete in that arena though.