1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst movie ever

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by roeod4, May 13, 2004.

1. reddragon

reddragon Member

i think Van Helsing is the worst film i've ever seen, every line was cheesy (and has probably been used in a cheesy action movie before) and the story-line was a horrible hash of Dracula, Frankenstein and werewolf mythology just for the sake of bringing the three together, but without remaining true to any of them (since when did vampires have retractable teeth and give birth to aliens? since when did werewolves change back whenever the moon goes behind a cloud?)
    i saw it in the cinema, dragged along by a few friends as we had nothing better to do, and the entire audience came out complaining about. thats gotta be bad.

although i might just be saying that because i've seen it recently.
    others that come to mind are Daredevil, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Biker Boys, anything like that really

and as for The Lord of the Rings trilogy - i dont think its bad, but its certainly overated. i think people like it so much because they expected to like it.
    and the less said about the Matrix sequels the better... the Matrix was fantastic, what went wrong?

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

VAN HELSING-- I couldn't get intoo but 30min into the movie the power went out at the movie theater's and took like 10min to get the power back on, soo that kind of ruind it for me, needless to say I went back to the box office and demanded my money back, and they did with movie passes also (how cool!) so as for VAN HELSING I'll wait to rent it.

DAREDEVIL I wanna see, don't know why but just have to get out of my system. I'm sure it is a bad movie but like I said, need to get it out my system so I can be satisfied =S

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I aggree with Matrix sequels. Two as bad, three was one of the worst films ever!!

LOTR, wasn`t too bad. could have been a lot worst, given the book (A whole side plot was deleted from the film). I do want to see the extended, I think that will be better.

Newer comic book action movies are really sucking. Just look at the Hulk. I just hope Spiderman 2 will not suck. Harry potter 3 was best of the movies so far, but was quite different from the book.

4. jobel60

jobel60 Member

I admit I am biased but the Best movie I have seen for a long time was Shaun Of The Dead. You have to have a Brit sense of humour to appreciate it. I just didn't stop laughing from start to finish!
    I also laughed a lot when an American freind of mine said she saw it and didn't think it was a very good horror film!?
    I don't think it reached the States but if you have a subtle sense of humour get it if you can.
    Getting back to the subject of crap films: Dreamcatcher. My two freinds fell asleep and I didn't want to wake them up so I went to the ticket office and chatted up the sales girl until it was almost over!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Now that's funny!=D

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Holy shit guy's!!! I forgot to add a very bad movie, "Star ship Trooper's 2" I am a big fan of the first movie and so I figured this one would be good... HELL NO! the 2nd trooper's was so very very bad, bad acting, bad script, bad everything.

If you feel the need to laugh or snicker, please feel free.

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

They made a Starship troopers 2!! I thought the first one was bad, not very good interpretation of the book and made me think it was Mellrose Place in Space.

I am almost tempeted to see it to see the horror.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to mention lame American rip-offs of great foreign films.

Point of No Return with Brigitte Fonda ripped off La Femme Nikita by Luc Besson.

Insomnia with Al Pacino ripped off Insomnia by Eric Skjoldbjaerg.

The Ring with Naomi Watts ripped off Ringu by Hideo Nakata.

They're others that I can't think of right now. The originals by far had more class and style to them than the remakes.

La Femme Nikita was so good because of Luc Besson's style. The ever-so-sexy Anne Parillaud played her part perfectly and Tcheky Karyo was awesome in his role. The remake had no style and no soul, it was a travesty.

The original Insomnia was carried by Stellan Skarsgard who's one of my favorite actors. Once again the style and mood in the movie can't be beat. Then you have the remake. I admire Pacino but it just wasn't the same and not near as good as Skarsgard.

Ringu was one of the best Japanese horror films I've seen and I can't bring myself to waste two hours on the remake.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I didn't know about Insomnia. I'll have to check that out. As far as La Femme Nikita and Ringu go, nobody who had ever seen the originals would ever remake them for any reason except the money. Actually The Ring wasn't bad (although lacking most of the great story elements of Ringu), but I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had seen the original first. Interestingly I read the book before I saw the original movie, and while I didn't find it the least bit scary I still think it was better than the movie. I thought it was a truly great mystery even though I pretty much knew the end.

Point of No Return (the La Femme Nikita remake) was just horrible. And I hadn't gotten to see the original when I saw it. It's just as bad as the original is good.

What pisses me off is that there have been at least a few good remakes of American movies in other countries and Americans don't ever hear about them. One of my favorite DVDs ever is Mean Machine, which is a remake of The Longest Yard. I'd never have known it existed except that my wife was looking at used discs at a local video store and noticed it because of Vinny Jones. In the last year or so I've introduced most of my friends to it and they all love it as much as I do.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

TO add to that, Vanila Sky. Its a remake of a Spanish or Mexican film. The origial kills it by far. Surprisingly a lot of Hollywood films are remakes or stollen.

11. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Vanilla Sky is big piece of crap! The original Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) was so much better it is hard to believe that they are based on the same story. I can't believe some twit on IMDB.com actually made a comparison with Vanilla Sky and Memento. I hate people!!

As far as The Ring and Ringu go, I liked 'em both. But Point of No Return SUCKED! La Femme Nikita will always be the best. I think that is one of the only French films I like.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

As much as I hate to admit it there are several French films I really like and actually own.

The City of Lost Children is a visual treat.

Baise Moi is brutal

I Stand Alone is even more brutal.

Man Bites Dog is the most brutal, but very good.

13. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

starship troopers 2 is definetely up there

14. scarface.

scarface. Member

lost in translation.

slowest most boring movie ever.

if you can't sleep, take a trip to your local video store and rent it, problem solved.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Come on guys! Everyone here who drifts for a moment while choosing a bad movie gets distracted and wants to say Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon. But then we're reminded that we aren't looking for the best movies but the worst ones.

Let's start a new thread and talk about what we all think are the best movies. There's a lot of really good movies I haven't seen because they aren't widely distibuted, advertised, or available. Perhaps we could help each other discover these hidden cinematic jewels. Got a hot B movie from England, France, or Germany,or from anywhere that really works, tell us about it, and why you think that we should watch it. Inform each other.

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Didn't we have that thread at the same time as this one was created. I remember naming quite a few.

but on the bad side. Kill bill vol. 1 Oh my god was this bad. The second one was good and the first should be avoided. With Sonny Shiba in the first one, he should have forced QT to watch one of his films. Watch Street fighter or the Lone wolf and cub series. But at all costs avoid this horrific terrible film know to us as Kill Bill Vol. 1.

17. Deeman

Deeman Guest

I watched about 20 minutes of "you got served". I had to wrap my head in duct tape to keep it from exploding. A bunch of sorry assed punks dancing around, please! It's like a modern ghetto version of west side story. That movie sucked ass and damn near made me stupid.

18. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Speaking of bad American remakes of foreign movies, Twelve Monkeys remake of the French La Jetee. Boring! Other bad movies...Cocktail, Indecent Proposal, The Wild Wild West, The Waterboy and Eye of the Beholder. Just my 2 cents...

19. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I thought the Waterboy was funny. That and Happy Gillmore, were really good. YOu have to like physical comedy and hitting people. All the hik jokes in Waterboy were great.

20. michelle9

michelle9 Member

I think it's a female thing. I don't find physical comedy with the hitting and humiliation funny, just painful. Perhaps it's just too close to being a flashback to high school for me...talk about humiliation! I actually got stood up for the prom, my family ignored my sixteenth birthday ...I better stop now, I think I'm going to depress myself way too much if I go on. I believe that generaly men are better at letting things go and laughing at themselves than women are.

I forgot to add Gods and Monsters to that list.