1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth splashing out on Nvidia Shield Box?

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by xchaotix, Jun 15, 2016.

1. xchaotix

xchaotix Newbie

Hi all.

I'm relatively new to TV boxes but I was really excited at the potential of theses devices. I have bought a MXQ box and while it does manage to stream content (just about) I want it to do so much more. Unfortunately it has a tendency to hang or become unresponsive and this seems to be due to a lack of hardware performance?

The things I would like to do using the tv box are:

Skype or other video calling over the internet.
    Streaming content - kodi exodus etc
    Download and install catchup tv apps such as bbc iplayer sky go etc
    Be able to play games - I'm not talking crisis 3 or anything but things like candy crush, subway surfers, angry birds and other android games from the Play store.
    General surfing the internet - would like to be able to use the ebay /amazon android apps.

I have managed to do all these things to a degree on the mxq box but like i said it is sluggish and has a tendency to hang/crash. I wanted to ask if it is worth investing in a Nvidia Shield box and would i be able to do all the things on the shield box i mentioned? Or is this over kill and is there a cheaper alternative that should be able to do the tasks with relative ease?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ya the shield box does exactly what you're looking for if its more the game side your looking for ,, you can also use game console with the nvidea , you can get better andriod boxes than mxq, setting up one for a mate at the moment the minix , a bit more expensive then mxq but very quick and has a bit more grunt. 2gb ram 16 gb , the mx111 another good box has an extra 1gb ram more than the mxq and a good price , but with all types of boxes it really comes down to good internet speed and connection

3. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

The only problem is that the Nvidia Shield is currently out of stock. Several rumors say a new version will ship soon and another says Nintendo is using the Shield factory to build their new Nintendo Switch gamming tablet/console.