1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be a feasible method to softmod the XBOX-- your opinions needed

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by basni, Feb 22, 2007.

1. basni

basni Member

Ok, so i bought an xbox recently with 6 games for 30 bucks AND it is a first gen :) nice.

Anyways, softmodding xbox's takes a little more extra software than other systems.. like the PS2.

I dont feel like getting a modchip.

And I want to use hotswap as a last resort...so after alot of thinking.. i was wondering why THIS method wouldnt work.

Good friend of mine has a soldered chip in his XBOX. Modchips signifcantly streamline the process of installing XBMC/Linux on to your xbox. Correct? Correct.

SO. what is to prevent me from taking out my retail HD and putting it in his chipped xbox, and then utilizing his modchip to format/install the software. Then swap the HD back out and into my own xbox???

Once thats done, I can upgrade to a large drive by using ftp; I havent found anything of this sort..so I was wondering why this wouldnt be an option.. wouldnt this be alot easier for people who have friends that already have chipped Xboxs

2. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never seen someone try it.

3. basni

basni Member

i think ill give it a shot.

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

You are walking into the gates of Error Code 5- if you do all this with his xbox and stuff, your hard drive isnt going to be locked to your motherboard and its not going to work, you have to have some sort of softmod on your xbox before you can upgrade the hard drive, you must have your EEPROM.bin file

5. monteca

monteca Regular member

The only way to switch hard drives in an xbox is to have a mod chip installed...it the drive is not locked by the xbox it is installed in it will not boot unless the modbhip bios is present

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

wow, you just repeated exactly what i said

7. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

things i have learned in the modding scene, is that things are just that much easier if you do things the way people have always claimed to do them, save yourself the headache and just pick up an action replay with orignial splinter cell , probs dirt cheap off ebay , and your all done, none of this swap bullshit. it is extremely easy.

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

exactly

9. ottesen07

ottesen07 Regular member

i went to my local gamestop

Action Replay: $30

Splinter Cell: $3 (used)

i was very successful