1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow am I ever lost

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Gobbles, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

I have been looking at posts for about 2 hours now and I am still as lost as ever. I bought myself a Camcorder and I love it. I have figured out how to put the videos onto my computer and I have even burnt them to DVD's. I got married on Saturday and I of course we taped the whole thing. I want it all on DVD so I can watch it on my TV and also to make it for family members. When I put the DVD in my player it says "This type of disk cannot be played", it works fine on my computer so I am assuming it is a wrong format or something. What do I need to do in order to make it play on my DVD player? I have "Ulead VideoStudio 7 SE Basic" that came with my Camcorder, "Windows Media Encoder" anmd "Windows Movie Maker"... I am really hoping there is some kind of great, easy step by step I can follow to figure out how to make this work. Please help!!!!! Thanks

2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Most likely its your DVD player. Some older DVD players dont supposto DVD-R since they werent invented at the time. OR maybe your DVD player only supposts DVD+R and you are using DVD-R. It probably lists the supported media in your manual for the DVD player.

If that doesnt solve the problem, are you burning a DVD disc or just taking the file and burning a data disc? You need to burn a DVD disc so your DVD player will read it.

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

Like mkaseatgb said, it's probably an incompatibility with your DVD player or the media, most likely the player. Check the specs of your player. Also what format is the video in?

4. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

It says in the manual that it will play DVD-R and that is what I use. I am not sure what format they are, I took it off the video camera onto the computer then burnt it onto DVD-R. I have no idea what im doing wrong, actually I don't know what I am doing period :)

5. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

you sure its DVD[bold]-[/bold]R and not DVD[bold]+[/bold]R?? That +/- makes a big differnece. If your sure you are using the right media, what program are you using to burn and what option are you selecting to burn. The only other thing I can think is that you are burning a data disc, not a DVD disc.

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

what's your dvd player model? what format is the file in?

7. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

When I burn it to DVD it says it is a windows media/Video File. I know that is my problem but I don't know how to make it work. The DVD player is a Panasonic it says right in the manual that it will play DVD-R, it even says that videos recorder on a camcorder onto a DVD-R can be played. I have tried using the program "Ulead VideoStudio 7 SE basic" and "Windows movie maker" both make the DVD's the same.

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

ok, u need to covert the file to mpeg or .avi, your dvd player will most likely play those. try winavi.

9. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Ahhh you got to him before I could, what kinza said. Winavi pretty straight forward, if you've used other programs you'll probably be able to figure that out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  10. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

Yes that seems to work fine, although it puts a tag that says Winavi right in the middle of the video, that wont work

11. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

This is totally irrelavant but was wondering why mkaseatgb thinks gobbles is a he? First, gobbles is asking directions (not a male thing to do). She (I'm betting gobbles is a girl) taped the wedding so she could watch it and show others. A guy would never do that...the honeymoon is a different story!
    I amuse myself with speculation...

12. kinza

kinza Regular member

It's perfectly alright for men to ask directions on anything besides driving directions :) I'm a girl myself, trust me, the last thing they do is ask driving directions.

13. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

I will tell what I am when the post is answered lol

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

15. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

Yet another clue...A guy wouldn't negotiate with a quid pro quo, he'd just want the damn answer. The mystery continues...

16. Gobbles

Gobbles Member

Looks like I never have to reveal the secret, I used "Nero SmartStart" and it worked awesome, thanks all for your help ;)

17. kinza

kinza Regular member

that's good to hear.

18. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Yea, it was kinda wrong of me to write him, sometimes I dont relize that there are women on this forum also!

19. kinza

kinza Regular member

There are girls too! I don't think it matters, I don't care if someone calls me a him, after all it is an online forum.

20. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

With the little dancing kitty I don't think anyone would confuse you...LOL...