1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Having this PC trouble for like a year now

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kingy1213

kingy1213 Regular member

@ jeice28

- what are u talking about?

- the prob has been fixed?

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yeah I was just mentioning the problems found in my PC.

Those problems were caused by improper restarts, shut-downs and etc.
    Once it improperly shut down, the BIOS settings reset and the voltages on RAM and everything else was messed up. Gotta check it up once in a while.

I will do a full system reboot, but it's so troublesome :-/

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

hey, another thing - I ran chkdsk /f so it fixed the errors upon the restart, now, I did chkdsk and it says "errors found", I thought it fixed them, I don't know, anyone?

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My guess is the HDD might be bad. I had the same thing with an 80GB WD Caviar drive. Ran CHKDSK /f over and over and still had errors popping up. My advice is to back up what you can and get a new drive with more capacity.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, if errors are coming back, it's probably the hard disk at fault.

6. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

_--OMGz! My warranty expires tomorrow ... -_- you know I coulda have gotten replaced for free but then again, my data !! Why would I get a larger capacity than 500GB, imo that is big enough.

I have another question -- performance, if 2 HDs have same RPM but one is smaller, would it run applications faster? Thanks.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typically 2.5" HDDs still tend to be slower than 3.5" ones for the same speed, and they also get very hot. However, the 10k Velociraptor is a 2.5" disk in a 3.5" box, so it can be done.

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Umm, what? What is 2.5" ? Is that the radius of the HD? So you are saying that larger by physical size HDs are faster, right? Well I don't know the radius of my WD 500GB caviar... I thought WD was good, but now that I am running these chkdsks it seems like seagate is a way to go. Also, I don't know if I want to pay a lot of money for a small, raptor HD, so idk, small radius then or something"?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh sorry, you meant smaller by data capacity, I didn't even think of that. Generally there's not much difference, but bigger drives tend to be newer models so will be slightly faster.

10. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

k thanks, I am going to run 3Dmark06 now, for GPU testing, wonder if there's a better version of 3Dmark

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3DMark Vantage, but it's for Vista only.

12. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Should I get* Vista? Is it less trouble than Xp? Yeah also sucks that I have 8800 and I haven't even seen what DX10 looks like....

Well sadly I didn't get any bad artifacts...in 3Dmark06.

By the way sammoris, irony, irony --

August 3rd, 2007
    " That'll be a good system. The CPU is very fast, the graphics card is pretty fast too, the Power supply is excellent, and the case is good.
    My only warnings are:

The 500GB WD drives are prone to technical problems, you may be fine, but suffice to say both the ones I've had have been faulty. Neither have directly lost me any data, but both trigger the SMART warnings that they are failing and need replacement, and have different problems with writing. It's a shame because all the other WD drives I have are good.

Also, unless the 900 case has been redesigned, it's very difficult to install the hard drives. You will NEED a magnetic screwdriver or two people to do it. It's hard to explain why right now, but when you get the case you'll see why."

Oh I still remember how exhilirating it felt to finally have a great computer, the feeling has now faded, it is really sad....
    \

Another EDIT:

Yeah I mentioned that when PC Hangs at Windows Logo, you know, you see that colourful display at the start, and it's not fully contrasted and it hangs? It is proly due to CPU overheating, I tried pressing all 4 clicks on the CPU and it seems to be completely clicked in... interesting thing is, if I wait for 1 minute, it doesn't hang anymore, so I don't have to improperly restart PC which then messes up my BIOS settings!

Also, is it bad when PLATINUM RAM runs at 1.8V instead of 2+ V? Thanks I am just cruising around my old threads.

PPS: sammoris, how old are you? You seem to like these boards. Do you do PS2 Modding as well?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

You honestly aren't missing much. IMO Vista is more trouble than it's worth. It's great for home users but not so great for gamers. It lowers your performance by up to 20% in some games. And DX10 has yet to show any real benefits as of yet. It's supposed to perform better but, in fact, it performs much worse.

Do you mean OCZ Platinum? I think the PC6400 is supposed to run stock at 2.1V. Just look up your specific RAM and see what the stock voltage is. Then go in and set it correctly.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

Sometimes these kind of creeping bad sectors and constant errors can be a sign of a bad cable.. bad ram can also cause them as the data and settings routine at shutdown can save corrupt data from memory.

Back everything up and then try repartitioning the drive, leaving the first few hundred MB's empty. That forces windows to allocate a different area of the drive for the pagefile.. which may be where these errors are coming from.

Hi Eust.. good to see you still around :) Fista isn't a benefit for anybody but M$.. it's a unix ripoff made by a monkey XD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  15. jeice28

jeice28 Member

I'll agree that vista isn't for everybody, especially those trying to do their old programs on it... I hate to say it but as a gamer I really haven't noticed hardly any problems with vista, but then again I did shut down the user access control. The only issue I've really run into with vista is that it likes to double up the resources on some occasions. Is it user friendly...? With the release of service pack 1 its getting there, but I had hoped they would have 'fixed' the UAC issue. (UAC = user access control)

Personally, Microsoft shouldn't have done a 32-bit version of vista, along with a 62-bit version only to release service pack 3 for xp, which if I'm not mistaken allows for the use of direct x 10. This would be like if Sony making the PlayStation 3 only to come right back with a PlayStation 2 that does blu-ray movies. Just wouldn't make any sense, but then again I forget that Murphy was an optimist.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Eugene: Man, that was a long time ago. I've since had two 500GB WD drives that work flawlessly...
    I am 20. I don't mod consoles, never really looked into it.

As for OCZ Platinum, though not so much with the PC6400 stuff, I do see swathes of problems with the higher clocked memory, so undervolted 800mhz stuff could potentially be prone to the same issues.

17. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

^_^ anyways

Ok, well I decided that I am gonna do a full system reboot. I bought one of those 500GB external WD HDs and now I am copying all of my files onto it, as I will format the HD and reinstall windows on it, hmm, oh god that means I have to do all that Service Pack 1 crap all over again... and then windows update, oh.........wonder if it still works. Well hopefully my PC will run better after that, I mean HD.

Yeah and what's weird is that my OPtical Drive, LG Lightscribe DVD burner worked fine, but when I sent my PC for a check-up the guy said "it was dead". So now I have to get an external optical drive as well while my other one is still under warranty.....bleh......

This is a fun discussion isn't it? Yeah welcome to my blog.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  18. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

In addition, I've noticed that I have to wait 5 seconds, when opening an image. In windows image viewer it says "generating image", but that's when launching it, if I just keep using arrow keys and not closing the window, it loads fine, but when I open it separately, it Loads the harddrive fully for 5 seconds, never happened before, opinions?

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If you need to run CHKDSK to fix errors this may work chkdsk /r ,the r is for REPAIR,not sure if you need to state drive letter,you should be able to do it from safe mode,but select command prompt option or if you know anyone with an xp disk home or prof (don't matter which both will work),use that instead to run CHKDSK,insert disk & at the first screen select repair,then when loaded chkdsk /r is all that's needed, chkdsk /f is read only if i remember rightly

Edit: while i'm here if anyone knows of a site where one can learn command prompt tasks let me know,things like change screen resolution & other commands i can play with inside windows

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's usually caused by antivirus, mostly AVG.