1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW install without discs?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by burner413, Dec 31, 2006.

1. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Hi everyone,
    Im trying to install World of Warcraft on my notebook. Unfortunately my computers cd drive isnt working. My friend has given me his discs and i want to use the free 10 day trial. I tried hooking an external hard drive up to another computer and used isobuster to extract the files from the cds to the drive. I then hooke the ext. drive to my notebook and tried to run the installer.exe but it wont work. any ideas?

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

On the other computer you are speaking of you could create disc images of the WoW install disc. Like a .iso file for example. Then after transferring those files to a external hard-drive you could put them on your laptop and use daemon tools to mount them like real CD's!

3. burner413

burner413 Regular member

I have tried that, but dameon tools says that there is no data and to contact blizzard if the problem persists. Is there anything special you have to do? What should the folders look like? do they all need to be in 1 folder or should I create an iso for each WoW disc folder?
    Thanks,
    burner413

What program should I use to create the iso's?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I currently use UltraISO, but theres a ton of others like PowerISO and ISOBuster. If you install one of them and then copy each disc as a iso image that will work. **note** don't copy the files off the cd, you MUST make a iso image of each disc and mount those images with daemon tools.

5. burner413

burner413 Regular member

I got it to work. Thank You VERY much for your help. Now i have to download the crazy large patch....argh...
    Thanks Again,
    burner413

6. burner413

burner413 Regular member

I seem to have encountered another problem. Whenever I go to play the game, I experience a lot of flickering, like parts of the screen vanish then reappear. Im not sure why this is. Ive read about it a little and saw something called an Omega Driver that is suppose to help, but i cant find it. My specs on my computer are : 512 ram, 64mb Radeon IGP 345m card and 2.66 processor. Any ideas what i can do?

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

What model is your videocard? Ex. Company, model #, etc.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

- Double Post -

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Forgot to say this....

It sounds like a videocard issue. If you can post the above specs I can find the most recent drivers for you. This may/should fix the issues you have been having.

10. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Thanks,
    My Card info is: Radeon IGP 345M (64mb shared memory)
    Unfortunately I think my card isnt good enough. When I play I experience the flickerin and the camera is really choppy and slow. I have all the options on low but it didnt help...

11. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Minimum system req.

PIII 800mhz or AMD 800mxz processor
    256 meg of ram
    32meg 3d card with HT&L
    DirectX 9.0c

12. burner413

burner413 Regular member

I think I have all that, Im not sure but i think i do. Which doesnt explain why WoW is soooooo choppy and flickers so much...

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

This is the only site I could find that was hosting a download for your Videocards driver.

http://www.soft32.com/download_174297.html

I would download it and burn it to a cd for safekeeping. And also if the issue still persists it may be that a) your power supply is going bad, b)your card is going bad, or possibly c)your windows install is messed up (highly unlikely because it doesnt seem as if you have had problems before)

14. kyungjin

kyungjin Member

It seems that you are using a weak graphics card because the game plays... It's just performing well if the screen flickers... My second guess would be your LCD, but if it only happens when playing WoW...

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Now that I think of it I once had the same screen flickering problem you describe. It turned out to be caused by a driver install gone haywire. So who know maybe installing this driver will clear things up? If not I would suggest saving for a new computer if at all possible.

16. burner413

burner413 Regular member

I tried to install the driver but it didn't fix the problems. I guess I will look into another computer. Any suggestions on who has the cheapest?

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If it possible you can build a decent gaming rig for $800 even lower (assuming you use your current screen,keyboard,&mouse). So if you have patience and financial ability, I would suggest buying the parts from a site like newegg and assembling it yourself. If building it is not an option post back and I'll take a look around some sites and compare specs/price for PC's in your price range. So 2 things whats your price range, and do you want to build it or just buy it pre-assembled.

18. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Hmmm...
    Is assembling one hard? I dont mind doing it, but if its complicated id rather buy a built one that chance having me mess it up. The keyboard, mouse and screen arent a problem. I got a Tv Monitor for christmas so I will connect it to that via VGA.
    Thank You very much for all your help,
    burner413

19. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I built my very first computer, and honestly it wasn't that hard. I also recently convinced a friend of mine to buy all of his parts online and build it himself. He wasn't sure but I told him if he got stuck I would help him out. He got the parts and built it himself in just about 3 hours (w/o my help).

So no its not that hard but you must be careful. For example, the pins on the CPU obviosly do not touch them and be very careful not to bend them. But I'll list everything you have to do (and say easy medium or hard) ....

1.plug the ram into the mobo (VERY easy)
    it just slots in

2.installing a dvd driver (easy)
    if the case you get uses "rails" you screw these "rails" onto your dvd drive and then the drive simply slides in, and locks into the case, piece of cake

3.installing a harddrive (easy)
    again if your case has "rails" you do the same thing as above but for a videocard

4.installing a videocard,or any other expansion card (very easy)
    just like the ram, you just stick it in.

5.installing the Power Supply Unit (PSU) (easy)
    you stick it in the case, screw it to the case, and then when all your other pc parts are in it you just plug the power cables in

6.installing the mobo (medium-hard)
    this is one of the most crucial steps. And the way for mounting in you case depends on the case. But the manual that comes with your motherboard will tell you exactly what to do. (Asus motherboards have excellent manuals)

7.installing the CPU (easy-medium)
    this step is honestly very easy, the catch is one mistake and that could ruin the procesor. On the motherboard their will be a socket for the cpu, on this socket will be a lever. You must pull the lever up to "open" the socket. Once this is open their will be a marking on the processor and a matching one on the socket. With the processor properly lined up with that marking you gently insert the processor. **NOTE** no pressure should be exerted on the processor, it should just drop into the socket. Once the processor is in the socket you lower that bar you opened earlier until it snaps into place. Attach the heatsink/fan assembly and your down with that.
    **(i know that was a lot but being one of the most "delicate" steps I figured i should leave no detail out)**

You are now down. Install windows and the files on the motherboard cd and your videocard cd and your ready to go.

20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If your interested in buildign I will post specs for a pc within your price range. If not I'll begin looking for a good midrange gaming machine to fit your budget.