1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW install without discs?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by burner413, Dec 31, 2006.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Just thought of this if your a visual learner, and want a step-by-step guide w/ pics to building a PC. The most recent issue of the magazine Maximum PC has just such an article. If your not sure whether you want to build a pc or not I would give the article a look see. With it you would have a better idea of whether or not you believe you can build the pc.

2. burner413

burner413 Regular member

Sorry It's taken so long to reply, I was out of town. I did get an amazing deal on a computer. My friend is getting me a Sony Vaio Desktop with the following specs: 512mb ram, 3.2 ghz P4 processor, 128 mb radeon graphic card. I do however have a question. I think i need to upgrade the ram to either 1 or 2 gigs. How much would that cost and can i do it myself or do i need to have it installed for me?

Edit: the computer uses pc3200 ddr sdram dimms memory.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  3. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Do you know what model # you computer is? That way can find out what type of ram it takes. You can install the ram yourself. You can also have a friend install it for you.

4. burner413

burner413 Regular member

the model is PCV-RS630G
    Is it hard to install the ram? I'd rather pay the 50 bucks at best buy to have it installed than mess it up...

Would it be better to just add a 512 chip to my system or take the 512 that came with it out and put in a 1 gig chip? Or do I need to go ever bigger and get 2 1gig chips?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  5. AE27

AE27 Regular member

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Okay to settle your worries installing ram is the simplest PC upgrade and $50 at Best Buy is a rip, the installation only takes 5 minutes tops. The ram will only go in the slot one way, and you know its in when both clips snap into place to hold it in. Close your PC case up, turn the PC on and your done. Also any stick of DDR400/PC3200 ram will work in your board. Your best bet is to just buy 1 512mb stick. 1Gb is a healthy amount of ram and more than able to run anything you throw at it. This stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141424) is from a reputable company, Kingston, and according to newegg.com was the "Winner of Customer Choice Award for Desktop Memory". This particular stick will set you back $50.99, shipping is free. And not to discredit AE27's post but the link he gives you for ram states that "this ram is guarenteed to work with your pc!" and that "the ram may come from one of many of our manufacturers". First as long as the speed and everything is the same any stick of RAM will work with a corresponding motherboard and why take the chance get a bad stick of memory from a random company for $59.98 not including shipping. When you can get a stick of ram from one of the industry leaders for less money with free shipping?

7. AE27

AE27 Regular member

I take no offence. I just did a ram search for his system and thats it gave me. Thats why I linked the Kingston. I have 2 gig of Hyper X in my system and have never had problems.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah, I took a look at the post and saw all the different companys you may be getting the ram from and figured why leave it to chance?

@ burner413 go buy yourself a 512mb from the link I gave you and if internet purchases is a no go then head over to your local electronics store and tell them you need one 512mb stick of DDR400/PC3200 Ram. Most electronics stores carry at least some ram modules. good luck and congrats on the new system!

9. burner413

burner413 Regular member

thx for the help everyone. Im very happy with my new system, and it only cost me 75 bucks! Now i just gotta upgrade the ram and buy the DVI cables and i will be set. Does anyone know by chance if the system restore discs are built in, as the person i got it from doesnt know if it came with them, and i need to clear everything back to the factory sealed state because there is alot of stuff slowin it down. I hope they are build in, like with my vaio laptop...

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Most computers with recovery partitions will have an option to start the recovery service on startup. Otherwise just borrow a install disc for whatever version of windows you have and install it using your serial key.