1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WPA on XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Mez, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ntense69

ntense69 Member

you shouldn't need another piece of network hardware if you have a router it should have 4 ports on it for wired connection and all you have to do is disable the wireless in the gui of the wire

2. Mez

Mez Active member

The router does have 4 connections. That is enough for my house.

There may be a setting but it is not marked wireless enabled/disabled. I have checked the Linksys site. It only has a guide for disabling wireless on a computer not the router. I just figured it could not be turned off. I am probably wrong.

3. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

another option easily available in dd-wrt wireless settings. and it can be configured so you can use the setup button to toggle wireless, so you don't have to keep going back into the router to turn it on/off.

the downside of having the setup button active is that you must have the reset button active too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

OK THAT is a great reason to use dd-wrt. You sold me. I had it installed before but I did not see much use for me being a bit ignorant.

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

before you flash it, you must know which version model your WRT310N is; wrong firmware can brick it. either a v1 or v2.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

I have the right version. I had it on for a while but I didn't see any reason to keep it on. Thanks

7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

v1: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/

v2: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom_K26/

if you didn't already, flash to either one of those standard firmware after you have the initial dd-wrt flash done. the one from the router database is way outdated and full of bugs.

and make sure to do a 30-30-30 reset before and after flashing! very critical to do so.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Well I was hacked again, it is time for plan B. I did explore the router app that came with the router when I reset everything. Even if it takees him half the time it did last time I should be wired by then.

I can turn off the wireless under wireless modes then just use the wires. I disabled wireless access to the modem. ntense69 was right wired is a better route. I may move the router to a more central location. That location will limit the wireless, it is below ground, if I go back to wireless and it is ideal for setting up a radio barrier. It is close to the outside wall where I believe the threat is coming from. I can put a barrier on the basement wall.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I was reading a tech mag and it kinda mentioned a possible hole in WPA security so I tracked it down. WPA is not secure anymore.