1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write error with Sony DRU-510a

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stodds19, Jan 18, 2004.

1. stodds19

stodds19 Member

Just wondering. I've been using the Sony DRU-510a for a few weeks and I've had no troubles burning a movie. Lately, my success rate is about 50-60%. I was wondering if this is because of the media that I'm using. I bought some on e-bay and they have no name. They are silver with a blue coating on the writing side. They are 4x discs but I am burning at 2x.

Usually the burn fails at about 80-90% completed. On some movies, it's at the exact same spot. Is the laser just not picking up the outer part of the disc or what?? When I use a Memorex DVD-RW it burns everytime. I don't know if this is because of the difference in media or the fact that an DVD-RW and a DVD-R are layered differently.

I've tried updating the latest version of my firmware but am having problems there too. The program says that the computer must be rebooted before the drive can be updated. Fine. When I try to update, it gives me the reboot message again. I've previously updated to version 10d so I know I'm doing it right.

I am using Nero 6.3.0.0 as my burning software on Win 98SE. Nothing is running in the background. Screensaver is turned off. I'm stumped.

Also, is using 1x discs good or bad?? I got some from Office Max today because they are $10 for 50 after rebate. I'm kinda leary about trying them.

brian

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Brian, Cheap media is the biggest problem with failures in this business of backups. Download a free program called dvdinfopro. Once installed you can insert a disc and it will give you info on it as to manufacturer, rated speed, etc. Just from my experience, its better to pay a little more for a brand name(I use Ritek) that to throw out half a pack of some unknown media. Good luck.
    Jerry