1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write errors among other strange problems ; (

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by DVDRyaN, Feb 24, 2008.

1. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Sorry to get off topic!
    I have a little bit of a difference of opinion. Not saying anything bad, but it is very rare that DVDFab or AnyDVD has a problem with a movie in Region 1. There are rare occasions that it happens. If you have the knowledge to get things done, there is always a work around.

I of course use multiple programs before I burn. I do not like CloneDVD. It is not all everyone makes it out to be. There are times that you may have to use FixVTS, or VobBlanker to get your DVD Structure intact. Both are free programs.

I have never had to, but if DVDFab fails you may contact them with the title of the movie that failed and they will get an update very quickly. AnyDVD does have problems sometimes.

The free version of RipIt4Me will allow you to rip the file. Some people say that the file did not finish, but that is not true. RI4M does rip the file, it is just not able to process it any further. With the use of a couple of free programs that I mentioned above you should still be able to get the DVD compliant.

Personally I use DVDReMake Pro. I have the ability to restructure the DVD if need be, however, I never really need to.

Just keep in mind that having multiple options is always good, but 9 out of 10 times I rip with AnyDVD, then use DVDReMake Pro, then I use DVD-RB, and burn with ImgBurn. There are rare occasions that I use DVDFab or RI4M.

Just as a side note:
    I normally have access to new releases a week before they are released, so as I said before it is rare that I have a problem. Of course I have over 1500 backups!

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

A perfect combination. Works all the time.
    Except RI4M still works 98% of the time.

3. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

It would seem there is, and I now have the new firmware installed, but I'm still having the same kind of problems. Anydvd will read, sometimes it will not, but I'd say the most prominent and annoying problem would be when CloneDVD2 has fatal write errors. BTW I've been writing at 1x and 4x. I'm going to try and test it out in another computer if I can gain access to one. If that fails I was thinking maybe I'd write zeros on my HD and start from scratch although I've never performed a task like that before.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Suba

Suba Regular member

Why do you insist on CloneDVD for burning.
    Rip with AnyDVD to HD and use ImgBurn for burning.
    If you spend some time, ImgBurn lists web site under Help where you can go and read how to use it.
    It really is simple.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

he probably needs clonedvd 2 to transcode/shrink the file so it will fit on a dvd-5

DVDRyaN, have you tryed a clean reinstall of clonedvd 2 + anydvd ?

my guess is your burner is shot

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I will agree with you that it works, especially if you know how to get around certain errors that may or may not exist. However, because I use multiple programs to make a perfect backup RI4M is the last ripper I use. I can rip a movie with AnyDVD or DVDFab in 15 min. RI4M is a little slower. I keep it as a last resort if I happen to have a fail with AnyDVD or DVDFab. As you stated, the perfect combination will make all the difference.

I agree with ZoSoIV in the fact that your burner may be shot. It could and very well be that CloneDVD2 in the party to be concerned about. Give this a shot.

1) Right click the little fox head and select "Rip Video DVD To Harddisk..."
    2) Create a folder for the movie.
    3) AnyDVD will rip the movie to the HDD.
    4) Download VobBlanker from here: Link to VobBlanker
    5) Process the VIDEO_TS folder through VobBlanker to help ensure the quality of the DVD Structure.
    6) Download DVD Shrink from here: Link to DVD Shrink
    7) Process the file through DVD Shrink to create either a VIDEO_TS folder which is what I always do or to create an ISO image for burning.
    8) Download ImgBurn from here: ImgBurn Link

Note: There are instruction on the use of ImgBurn located there if you need them. ImgBurn is one of the best burning engines available for movies. You may create and burn a VTS folder or burn and ISO file.

Basic instruction on the use of VobBlanker: Guide Link written by my buddy alkohol

If you still have a problem after changing the routine then I would agree that the drive has gone bad. Hopefully all works for you this time!

7. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Oh, HOW I wish you were right, syxguns.

I maintain a personal "DVD S--- List" detailing which discs are "copy protected" beyond ripping, and occassionally come back to them to see if my latest update of (say, DVDFab), can now negotiate the messes which the studios constantly corrupt their discs with.

Boxed sets are absolutely the worst. Invariably, I find, only ONE of the discs in a set are screwed up - the other discs in the set always rip fine. I guess the (studios') logic here is that you will not want to back up a season's worth of tv shows, if you cannot rip the whole box set.

And I have two computers, with (of course) two different burners, both of them nearly brand-new.

I have much better luck with individual movies though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

A_Klingon-
    I agree that there are the occasional box set that has one disk that is difficult to get ripped. I can't remember off the top of my head which ones they are, but I have run into a few. That is when I learned how to use RI4M. Basically it will run the files through DVD Decrypter and it will save a folder of the file. There have been occasions when the VIDEO_TS folder that it saved took a lot of work, and I think in one case I had to burn the episodes without menu's.

That is one reason I purchased DVDReMake Pro. You have the ability to restructure the DVD if need be. Before I had DVDReMake I used VobBlanker, but it does not offer the same features as DVDReMake. Every once in a while I get a troublesome title, but I can get it worked out eventually.

Of course some people do not like to use 3, 4, or 5 programs to do the work. Most people want the simple one click method! On a typical DVD these are the programs I use:

AnyDVD to rip
    DVDReMake to strip and change menu's
    DVD-RB with the use of CCE for quality
    ImgBurn to burn

Of course this is after years of experience. I went years using only free programs. Now, if you noticed, the only free program I use is ImgBurn, even though I have Nero 7. I occasionally have to use DVDFab and rarely use RI4M.

I know one movie that I could not keep the menu's on if I changed them which was strange to me! Meet the Robinsons. That particular film I could not get the way I wanted it to be. Now that I remembered it I will have to dig out the original and try again! Oh joy:(

9. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

That is correct the file is too large to rip and then go straight to Imgburn... so I'm going to use DVD shrink. I have indeed reinstalled my programs.

@Syxguns, I've tried changing my routine, I used Anydvd, VobBlanker, DVD shrink 3.2 and then I tried to burn that result with DVD decrypter, and Img burn,and it either freezes or gives me an I/O error. ; (

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  10. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

Ok so I finally found another computer to try the burner out on. It had the same problems. I bought a new one (a cheap one) and it works fine. Thanks all for your help.

Ryan

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

looks like i nailed it,thats what i thought all along. glad you're going again

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Agreed.. Those philips burners were nothing to write home about when they were new.

##edit.. this thread hadn't updated in 12 hours ???? odd

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008