1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by truthmic, Mar 8, 2005.

1. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It really dosen't matter which way you do it. The outcome in the end will be the same as far as quality goes. It is just a prefference thing. If you only want to back up the movie with out extras then there would be no reason to rip a movie in ISO when all you need is to rip the main movie with Decrypter this would be faster than ripping the whole DVD as an ISO when you really don't need all that extra stuff. If you plan on backing up the whole disk then a lot of people like the simplicity of only dealing with one file instead of several (just neater). Again check out my site for some guides on backing up your DVD movies and it will help you understand a little better.. :)

2. truthmic

truthmic Member

Your quick responses are really helpful. This is a great site for help. I have been checking out your site and will use the guides to try burning again. Is there a way to see if my burner is faulty? I'm sure it's me or the media but I don't want to risk my guarantee by waiting to long.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you use the first guide at my site and still have problems then there may be a problem. That first guide is almost always a sure fire way to back up your DVD so lets give that a try and see what happens..

4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

If you're only using DVD shrink and/or DVD decrypter, it can't be YOU doing something wrong. It's one of a few things.....

Your burner
    Your media
    Your computer
    Your DVD player
    Software conflict

What are the specs on your computer? If you're running an old system with Windows 98 and a 400 speed processor for instance, and trying to burn with a 16x DVD burner......you've got problems!!!

Also, even if you have a superfast computer, the encoding and burning, etc. take up bookoo processor resources. If you're trying to encode and burn a disk while playing Leizure Suit Larry gets Laid, then you've got problems there also.

If you have an old (and sometimes new) dvd player, it may not be wholly compatible with recordable dvd media. By backing up a disk, from what I've read, you're not really making a 1:1 copy. The lead-ins and lead-outs are written differently because the original disk is pressed, not burned. You may want to check that website that bbmayo posted (videohelp.com) for media that is best compatible with your player. I didn't see whether you're burning -r or +r media. Some players are more compatible with one or the other.

You also need to check the Samsung website for media compatibility with your burner. And be sure there's no firmware update. I was leery of updating firmware at first, because what you're doing in essence, is reprogramming your dvd burner's computer. Chip(s) in the burner tell it how and where to put data. It's just like installing new drivers for any hardware on your system. They need to be updated in order to be compatible with new software and hardware.

You could also try re-installing all the burning software on your system. Be sure to uninstall prior to installing again. Also, some burning packs cause conflicts. For instance, if you have Nero as well as other dvd/cd burning software installed, one or the other may be running in the background, causing a conflict with the pack you're burning your dvd's with. Some .dll's from one software pack may also conflict with .dll's on other software packs. I'd try to uninstall any other burning software except what you're going to use all the time. For me, it's Nero. For you, it might be Alcohol 120%, or some other one that you prefer.

So do some checking on your system. You might have some burning software that was installed when you got your computer that you don't realize is there.

Also, check the manufacturer of the media you're using. Check the digitalfaq.com website for media recommendations. I think you can get there directly by going to www.nomorecoasters.com. There, you can see that manufacturers such as Optodisk and CMC are garbage media, while MCC and Yuden are thought of as first class media.

I'm by no means an expert, but these are just some suggestions I have. Others on here are probably MUCH more knowledgeable than me, so they may be able to help when you find out some additional info to post.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2005