1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

write media error

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by jjordan, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jjordan

jjordan Member

Before I updated AnyDVD to 6.0.6.1 and Clone DVD
    to 2.9.0.1 ,I had no trouble copying complete movies. Since
    I have updated to the current versions I get a media write
    error "Write DVD 10 11 W2" which I never used to get
    before. I then attempted to install the older versions back
    to see if it was a glitch in the newer updates, but for some
    reason it won't overwrite the new versions of either software.
    I have been using "Sony DVD-R 120 min./ 4.7 GB dvd disks
    from the start with no troubles. Now the same disks do not
    work and I bought a 100 pack and tried the disks randomly
    1 or 2 disks could be bad but not the whole stack.
    Is there a way to install the older versions back in to test if it
    is only the updates or is it something else?

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

3. jjordan

jjordan Member

my comput is a sony vaio with xp media center os. and updates automatically when it boots up suposedly built in the startup.
    i have now the 100 pk label: sony dvd-r 120 4.7, 1x-16x made in taiwan. in the past i had 1x-8x sony dvd-r 120 4.7
    is the different x rating causing the error? i listed my cd drives i have in the computer.
    Drive D:
    cd drives are:
    Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name SONY DVD RW DW-D22A
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMSONY_DVD_RW_DW-D22A_____________________BFS1____\5&34B6C6BD&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/3/2004 6:59 PM)

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 1
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8163B_______________0S24____\5&34B6C6BD&0&0.1.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/3/2004 6:59 PM)
    i'll uninstall the anydvd and clone dvd and reinstall an older version first to see if it fixes it other wise i'll check back.
    i hope this info helps . thanks for the response. all i got from slysoft was a nondescript solution that made no sense. it sounded like a computer response not from a person.

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Looks like your drive is behind in firmware updates, my usual site for firmware updates doesn't have any available for you, but I'll keep on looking, this should fix your problem.

Your drive is a rebadged lite-On SOHW-1635S, (Good drive by the way)

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

6. jjordan

jjordan Member

i've read and noted all the firmware fixes and bin files, once i downloaded the files, do i copy them into the windows systems directory so they are read? or how do they get read by the compute so they work. I'm not a hack so bear with me. thanx.

7. jjordan

jjordan Member

the reading threads are good i've never done anything like this behind the windows os before with doing all the firmware and bin codes. i try to open the bin codes but its not readable so how does it work and where should i copy the files into so they work?
    also to post my last entry, the LtnRPC to reset or disable the region counnter, then click diable and drive is region free. is this done at the dos prompt or what? i'm lost where to do this action.
    also the s "LtnFW" and the 'iflash64 filename' is this done on the 'start (bar)'& 'run (program)' line? i don't follow all this.

8. binkie7

Hi jjordan
    Part of the the problem w/ your drive is it hasn't had a firmware update in almost 2 years so 16x media esp -R may give it a problem. The drives max burn speed on -R is 8x. 16x +R may do better with it like Verbatim.

You could try and crossflash it to the LiteOn SOHW-1633S - since there is a crossflashing-patched firmware for the drive (BSOY) you can use method 2 which is pretty start forward. Just make sure no blanks in the the drive, power stays on and no programs running. Run the flasher and pick the Sony drive. Here's the guide: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html & firmware

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  9. jjordan

jjordan Member

I first uninstalled both anydvd and clonedvd, then installed earlier versions to try the sony-R 16x disks, but did not work. So,I went to your links to use the updated firmware and bought a small box of the verbatim +R 16x disks, it worked. then updated anydvd and clone back to the recent versions and that worked also. I appreciate everyone that gave me advice especially Binkey 7 for doing all the background of the drive and firmware info. I couldn't exactly take in my computer to the geek squad and ask them to fix my computer so it can make copies of movies. at times web gurus sound like the lone gunmen(xfiles) but they do know a thing or two about fixin puters. I'll be back from time to time to check up on this site. again thanx a million. JJ

10. binkie7

You're very welcome jjordan :)
    Glad you are back in business.

Yeah the geek squad wouldn't have told you to crossflash to another drives firmware. This sometimes is just the trick.
    Probably would have charged you too much anyhow- this you did for free!

Happy Burning!

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

All we ask jjordan is that you share your newfound knowledge with other newbies who have similar questions. That is how each one of us learned about computers/DVD burning etc.