1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Write protected

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Komet, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komet

Komet Member

I have a 32 Gig memory stick that some how has got its self write protected,I Tried to format it but computer says it can't because its write protected.How do you get rid of this write protection. I tried in disc management to delete the partition but could not as right click
    would not high light the delete button.
    Can anyone help as this stick is useless now.
    Thanks all Komet

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Did it have U3 on it? You need to remove that app first. Google for the removal tool.

I would not format it that will not help you. The factory format is likely to be truer than something you do with a particular computer.

3. Komet

Komet Member

Sorry I missed this reply I see what you mean about removal tool but by the time you buy them it is the cost of a new stick.
    Thanks Komet

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Well I did not notice that you removed the partition. That is pretty much like taking a hammer to it. How did you think you would ge a new one back on it? Your computer does not know how to partition one of those it doesn't now how to format one either.

5. Komet

Komet Member

Hi you may well be right as I am no expert,I did try to delete the partition but could not,I was following some other advise that was to delete and install a new one this was suppose to let you format it and remove the write Protect.
    Thanks Komet

6. Mez

Mez Active member

I removed U3 for free. My removal tool was made by U3. Not everyone wants it on their stick. I sure don't. I don't mind being careful to remove the stick correctly. I don't use encryption.

I suspect you buggered U3 so it locked you down. You might not be able to remove it now because it 'thinks' you are an unfriendly trying to get around the encryption.

7. Komet

Komet Member

I think you may be right its time to chuck it in the bin.
    Thanks Komet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.