1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writer Stops Seeing Disc After Burning It

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Thomas61, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Thomas61

Thomas61 Member

I have a problem that doesn't make sense. Using an HP DVD Writer 740r and Nero 7, I have been successfully burning DVD+RW discs. However, when I use DVD-RW, it will burn the disc properly and the disc will play in a DVD movie player but when I put the disc back in my computer, it won't even recognize it's a disc. Therefore, I can't erase it. My Nero Info Tool says this writer will work with DVD-RW.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

2. attar

attar Senior member

I see this problem occasionally on my (non HP) PC.
    It always seems to involve RW disks.
    In my case, the solution is to uninstall the controller that the burner is attached to, then rebooting.

My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager
    Expand 'IDE Controllers..' and uninstall the Secondary (this assumes that the burner is IDE and is connected to the Secondary) then reboot.

3. Thomas61

Thomas61 Member

Attar,

Uninstalling didn't help in this case. Again, everything works fine when I use DVD+RW but when I use DVD-RW it isn't recognized after it's burned. Although the burn works fine in a movie player and can be read with a DVD-ROM drive. I wonder if this has anything to do with this being a DVD-RW Sequential disc instead of a DVD-RW RO.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Take Nero out of the picture by burning a disk with ImgBurn to see if it makes a difference.

5. Thomas61

Thomas61 Member

Attar,

First of all, thanks for all of your help. ImgBurn is functional with these discs. Or in other words, ImgBurn can burn one of these discs and will still recognize it later and be able to erase it. However, ImgBurn can't recognize the discs that have been burned using either Nero or ConvertXtoDVD. Only an external DVD player or a computer's DVD-ROM has been able to recognize the discs that are already burned. So at least all of the blank DVD-RW discs I have can still be utilized but there are the remaining burned DVD-RW discs I can do nothing with except watch their already burned contents on a DVD player.

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. Thomas61

Thomas61 Member

Thanks again for your help. At least most of my DVD-RW discs will not be going to waste thanks to the Img.Burn. I will try working with cdr-zone.com.