1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wrong Drive?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juliano, Dec 7, 2005.

1. juliano

juliano Member

Heres the problem, I ordered a Ben! 1640, and what I got in the mail today was a BenQ1620 Pro....Isnt the 1640 the newer one? I also tried to update the firmware on the 1620, and it says that THE DRIVE IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE UPDATED!!!!!!!!! What is that all about? Should I return this drive and get the 1640 I originally ordered?? Help

2. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

3. juliano

juliano Member

9MM,

I read the reviews, but what do you think? This 1620 firmware cannnot be updated, and doesnt come with the software that the 1640 does. What I want to know is, is this drive as good as the 1640?

4. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

ADA saugmon loves his 1640. That is the unit that I will buy when I replace my LG if not before. You don't hear to many talk about the 1620, but lots talk of the 1640 and 1625(lightscribe).

If it were me, I ordered a 1640 that's what I would want.

5. juliano

juliano Member

Thanks 9MM,

I think I'm going to send it back....

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I think I heard my name called!

I've got 2 benq 1620s with the fw update of B7-W9 and also the 1640. All are super drives with over 99%+ success rate and 95%+ stand alone compatability rate.

Now I've got 3 pcs up and burning. 1 is an old 598 mhz celeron with single drive.400+ burns. That 1620 hasn't produced a single coaster despite that pc's limited resources.
    The drawback is that pc is a single drive and only have 2.4x and max burn.That's what sucks about benq burners,they over burn media.Sony and Fuji +8x will burn at 16x and just about every other 8x media will do 12x. I've got the q-suite 2.0 on this machine,but it doesn't control the overburn like it does for the 1640.

My other 2 pcs have dual drives so I have more control of the burn speed.My original 1620 with over 1700+ burns is still going strong.My main pc,in my sig,has the 1640 and qsuite and keeps all my backups from overburning. The scans are also way better with the backups that are burned at the faster 8x and 12 speed.

If anyone has a benq 1640/1620: Be cautious of burning at 2.4x speed.This slow burning causes me the only problems I have,too many read errors. Faster is better,but that's only using the quality ty/verbatim/and hitachi media..

Juliano: Where did you order that benq from?
    What is the firmware version?
    I know the 1620 use to have 2 different up to date firmware versions. One is for the Pro-retail and other is for the Bulk.

7. juliano

juliano Member

Saugmon,

I got it from Meritline.com...

I tried to update the firmware but it told me, "This drive is not allowed to be update" Ever hear anything like that...Also, the drive states its a Doulbe Layer, not Dual Layer....whats the difference? On the bezel it also reads DL. So there would be not problem burning backups with the 1620 then? Sorry to get your reply so late, I sent it back today....

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Both my 1620s are marked different,but both had nearly the same firmware. B7C9 in my original 13 month old drive and B7-L9 on my 8 month old 1620 and updated both to the B7-W9 firmare.They burned great with their original fw.I only updated it so I could try the Q-Suite program which didn't work like it does on the 1640.

My old 1620 was built by benq for I/O Magic 16x so it has no markings other than the dvd/cd/and rw logos. The newest 1620 is their bulk,but same as the rebadged 1620 and just a little different from the pro-retail models.

Why you couldn't update it is beyond me.That's why I wanted to know if you had that firmware number written down.It could also have been a bad drive which occasionally happens,even to the better brands like plextor,benq,etc.

The reason I prefer Benq,is because my original 1620's backups would play just about anywhere after I booktyped them using the quality plus format.Even some accidental 16x overburns on yuden000-T02 media was no problem. I have a spare pc which had another I/O magic 16x,but this one was built by EMPA of middle east Fizo and it was a total pc of crap.Poor compatability on stand alones even booktyping them and using quality media.The dash performed way better.Another burner I had was the Khypermedia +8x and it had a little trouble with those backups on some stand alones.
    I just wanted 2 burners that didn't matter which stand alone player or pc drive they were played in by messing around with different format/speed of burn/or Mid code of media..
    That 2nd 1620 took care of that issue.I don't have to worry about who plays my backups because they will play in over 95% of the stand alones that play my backups.

I've also used a new HP 640c lightscribe and results weren't very good.Not only stand alone compatability,but too many read errors of its backups. This drive had to go.This pc,in my sig is where the 1640 is and she performs just as well as the 1620s,without the accidental overburns. Excellent drives and excellent standalone compatability.You should see these babies rip and burn on the fly! 100% on over 300+ backups!

Good luck when you get that 1640 because it is a quality drive.I only paid $38 for mine including free fed ex from newegg.com.

Edit: Dual layer and Double layer are the same.Different brands call it one or the other.
    These drives are listed as dual format,but they can booktype the plus format to dvd-rom,so that gives you 3 different formats to mess around with.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  9. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

@saugmon

What do you know about the new model BenQ the DQ60 that is supposed to be the same as the 1640?

I was looking for a 1640 and saw this: http://www.mmdus.com/detail.asp?cd=1718

What do you think? What about the 1650?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  10. juliano

juliano Member

Firmware for my 1620 is B79u. So this drive will burn just as as well as the 1640 but with the option to booktype correct? Well, I sent it back for to exchange for the 1640, and if they dont have it, I will get a refund...I'll check out Newegg...thanks!!

11. Exodus12

Exodus12 Member

Hey 9mm. I have the same question. I see that apparently they think the DQ60 is the same thing as the 1640. I can't be sure though. The Specs look the same but I can't find any reviews on them. If anyone knows where to find a review of the DQ60 please post it.

The only thing I do see different is a few of the stats..
    DQ60 has these -------------------
    Cache: 2M
    CD-R: 48X
    CD-RW: 24X
    DVD+R: 16X
    DVD+R DL: 8X
    DVD+RW: 8X
    DVD-R: 16X
    DVD-R DL: 4X
    DVD-RAM: 5X
    DVD-RW: 6X

DW1640 has these --------------------
    Cache: 2M
    CD-R: 48X
    CD-RW: 32X
    DVD+R: 16X
    DVD+R DL: 8X
    DVD+RW: 8X
    DVD-R: 16X
    DVD-R DL: 4X
    DVD-RAM: ???
    DVD-RW: 6X

As you can see the DW1640 and the DQ60 are virtually the same - minus a few things. The DQ60 basically doesn't do -R media as fast as the 1640, but if your using +R then you will be fine. Everything else looks the same. I'm not sure how it performs, but stat wise, thats the facts that I've found.

Like I said, if anyone knows of a review pls post it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  12. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

@Exodus 12

Thanks for the comparison. I am trying to decide on the new burner that I am going to get. Wish I could get a review of the DQ60

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

9mmruger1: I'm not familiar with the DQ60 and benq 1650. Newer drives lacking info and peeps feedback so I have no clue about them?I couldn't find a pic of either drive at Benq's main website.

Looks like the main difference between the DQ-60 and 1640 is the Dvd-Ram according to those specs that exodus 12 posted.

Juliano: The B79U firmware doesn't sound right.Maybe B7U9?

14. Exodus12

Exodus12 Member

I ordered my DQ60 yesterday so we'll see on Wednesday how it burns. I haven't tried the 1640 so I can't exactly compare, but I can tell you how fast I can burn stuff and let you decide from there ;) I'm sure ANYTHING is better than what I have now.. lol. Currently I'm using a Dynex brand burner, I think the only one they ever made. But anywho- for $42 after shipping on newegg.com... you can't go wrong with the dq60 me thinks. I couldn't find the 1640 anywhere or I'd get that one, but they are basically the same drive.

From all the posts I've read on the DQ60 on forums and stuff when google searching it is a much anticipated drive. So hopefully it'll be good.

15. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

Hello I purchased a DQ60 from newegg and it will not do DL burns... how did the one you purchased turn out ?